Review by An_ubis77 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
An_ubis77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-an-ubis77.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by An_ubis77 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by An_ubis77 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire by Mattew Tysz is a book about the political activities and cultural life of a place called Voulhire. The book introduces us to the activities of major characters like that of a king trying to keep his kingdom safe, a foreigner in the land honoring his uncle’s dying wish, the new lord of a town trying to erase the atrocities committed by the previous lords, an imprisoned magician and a rogue army bent on conquering the kingdom. Voulhire is a place that has interaction to the magical world Caromentis.

I feel this book explores how our world would look like if magic were an important part of our life, it paints a picture of the sort of life we might have and the issues we will likely face. Even though, there are differences between that world and this world, I feel there are also lots of similarities, for instance; the role technology plays in this world are quite similar to that of magic in that world. Rather than rely on technology to do things for them, they use magic instead.

I liked that the author added aspects of modernity to the fantasy world, for instance; therapy was discussed as a way to treat patients suffering from trauma, and ice hockey was also mentioned as a sport. Most books in the fantasy genre rarely have aspects of modernity like this book does. I also enjoyed how the author kept the story intriguing and easy enough to follow; there wasn’t any overcomplicated plot, gratuitous violence or an underdeveloped character. Also the ending of the book was perfect, it had everything a good book should have; a climax with enough suspense to keep you interested in the next book.

I did not like the fact that the magical world Caromentis wasn’t adequately discussed. You can tell this world would be an important part of the story and to me; this book being the first in the series should serve as the introductory book to all major characters and plots. So I think the reader should have been more exposed to the magical world of Caromentis.

This book was professionally edited, there was absolutely no error found which is really commendable. I recommended this book to readers with an interest in the fantasy genre and any reader that enjoys a well written book.

Finally, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, even though I think the author could have discussed more about the magical world, the effective incorporation of modernity in the book and the intriguing ending of the book totally makes up for it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”