Review by Drunk_Lich -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drunk_Lich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunk-lich.html
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Review by Drunk_Lich -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Drunk_Lich »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a Fantasy book made by Matthew Tysz. It is the first part of the book series We Are Voulhire which consists of five books.

This story is set in a different universe, where two worlds collide and combine, a world where Magic is indeed a part of reality, and where one's strengths and wits would reward them with the glories of life, be it in money, pleasure, or peace.

The book begins outside of Voulhire and into the Land of Princes, where wars are constantly waged and lives are culled like sheep in a slaughter. In a land where you have to learn to fight and survive for the day, we meet Galen. He wasn't anyone special, not a knight that fought valiantly in wars, nor a strategist that helped win them. He was someone that existed, a speck in the crowd.

Yet, he's also someone who received a free escape, a reset to a life he never wanted. We ride along with Galen's adventure to Voulhire, where he inherits his long-lost uncle's smithery. Lost and confused, he tries to understand how to start anew in this seemingly magnificent land filled with cobblestone roads and smooth houses with warm lantern lights.

However, with Galen's bright and positive outlook of Voulhire, we also get to see the darkness of it, hidden in the murky waters of politics and treachery. King Wilhelm, King of Voulhire, is one of the few that we get to meet. He's calm, collected, and steadfast. Despite that, he's also calculative, cunning, and multi-faced. He is someone genuine, and he shows it to the public, yet his mind is swarmed with the hidden problems gnawing at the entirety of Voulhire and the Cosmos itself.

Two of these major problems are the Riva Rohavi, a terrorist force eager to overthrow the reigning kings who tarnished their names, and a General gone insane. We hear their stories in glimpses and understand their motives from the eyes of the ones who prosecute them, yet, will that be a complete and sound judgement, to judge them from the revised history written and told to children and adults alike?

This book's multiple surprises only stack up upon each other, Galen's benefactors, Wilhelm's problems, and Voulhire in its entirety. You have to stay vigilant until the very end of the book, as it won't end (or start) the way you expect it to.

This book does contain profanity and implications of sex. It doesn't appear in the book often, but if you are uncomfortable with it, I wouldn't recommend this to you.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4. The immersion gives it one point, another goes to the world-building itself. Wonderful characters and their internal debates show how completely fleshed out they are. Lastly, the transition from character to character, the chapter titles, and the overall writing style is what became the icing on top of the cake for me. This book leaves you hanging, and I definitely think you'd enjoy it as much as I did.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Luray by Dennis Haupt

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”