Review by OB Brian -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Review by OB Brian -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by OB Brian »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Another day under the sky of Voulhire. Another city in the vast kingdom. The same madness. In the wake of the demon attack on Virko, and the unknown fate of the town, Galen and his friends, Rowan and Demetrius travel to Soulhire. They hope to secure an audience with the king in the capital and get help for Virko. In the interim, Soulhire is all but peaceful, following an attempt on the life of King Wilhelm. The king increases the security of the city, but can the vigilant soldiers see what is coming? If yes, do they stand a chance against the foreboding that threatens the eighteen-century-old kingdom? Will Voulhire unite long enough to stave off this attack, or will it destroy itself way before the insurgent?

That is but a glimpse of We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End, the third book in the We are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz. It is in this novel that the author showcased the extent of his imagination. He interwove the magical and physical worlds expertly, creating a dark, mysterious, and action-packed world that will keep one on the edge of their seat. The author brilliantly depicted power (and greed for it), politics, and betrayal of a few individuals, and how they used the innocents to achieve their ends.

He vividly described the supernatural showdown, surroundings, and events, enabling a reader to conjure an image of Voulhire. Furthermore, the humor that he employed in the dialogues and description is unparalleled. For instance, he hilariously showed fear of the imminent attack in the words of the Voulhirian chancellor Maido, "We have a great thing here. The games we play, the plans we make. But the emperor, he'll come to us like a parent to his children playing make-believe with their toys. And he'll put us all to bed."

I loved, in particular, the realisation Galen gets that he cannot run forever, and at some point had to take a stand. Though subtly, he fights alongside his friends for his new home and is ready to die for it.

Nevertheless, the book had its flaws. I came across some grammatical errors, which tell against the competence of the editors. Moreover, foul language dotted the narration, albeit in frivolous proportions. It was, however, devoid of erotic content. Consequently, there is no marginalisation, whatsoever, of the audience. Also, it is not discriminatory against any religion.

There was nothing to dislike in We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz. The grammatical errors were too few to interfere with my reading. Besides, the narration is original and written expertly. As a result, I score We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End at four out of four stars. I recommend it to anyone who loves dark fantasy tales. Those after a good-feel story from another time and realm, We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End is a must-read.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I'm currently reading the first book in the series and I agree that the author has an original, fresh writing style. Already looking forward to this one! Thanks for the wonderful review. :)
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

NDeMeer wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 09:22 I'm currently reading the first book in the series and I agree that the author has an original, fresh writing style. Already looking forward to this one! Thanks for the wonderful review. :)
Thank you for your comment. You will find the 'We are Voulhire series' worth your time.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I've read this book and I found it mesmerising. I'm certainly addicted to the We are Voulhire series.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

OB Brian wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 01:13
NDeMeer wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 09:22 I'm currently reading the first book in the series and I agree that the author has an original, fresh writing style. Already looking forward to this one! Thanks for the wonderful review. :)
Thank you for your comment. You will find the 'We are Voulhire series' worth your time.
You should also consider the book series ''The turn" by the same writer.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”