Review by Nafreezy -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nafreezy
Currently Reading: HBR Guide to Project Management
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nafreezy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Nafreezy -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Nafreezy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Time exists in Caromentis just as it exists in the Cosmos. Perhaps with mastery of both the Cosmos and Caromentis, one can master time itself.” As a fan of anything Sci-Fi/Fantasy when I first came across We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tsyz I was interested but was not suitably prepared for how thrilling and full of suspense the work of art is. It focuses on the Kindgom of Voulhire which has finally come into its golden age and its enemies who seek the Kingdom’s demise. In a world where mages are commonplace and that which cannot be comprehended or does not follow natural law is feared, we are introduced to characters from all walks who play a part in the overall picture of the Kingdom and its troubles in what should be peaceful times of bounty.

Galen Bray, a young man from the Land of the Princes migrates to Voulhire and his experiences in this dream-like country give us an appreciation of just how magnificently well off the country and its occupants are compared to the neighbouring war-riddled islands. His rags-to-riches story courtesy of his great-uncle, Galen Onita and one executor, Rowan, is refreshing and evokes a reader’s sympathy. We also get to see and understand how much harder it is being a monarch and especially a beloved one. Hard choices even at the cost of one’s own heart are inevitable and King Wilhelm's position is unenviable.

What I liked the most about the book is the realism in day-to-day problems the characters faced in their social positions. I also liked how the story has many characters’ perspectives across walks of life told of the same story; how Voulhire goes from peaceful times to the start of a war from the Riva Rohavi, a faction that seeks to destroy it that is now under new and better leadership. Lord Meldorath, a powerful mage who seeks to control Caromentis itself, only adds to the list of foes Voulhire boasts having and he proves the most powerful of them all. He later secures Hillport town as his base of operations after ousting Lords Orlin and Eldus from power.

I would recommend this book to any reader but most especially to fans of Sci-fi/fantasy. It does not disappoint and you’re sure to quickly have favourites in the characters. Power wrangles from within the Kingdom’s own systems are also present what with the Eiodi, head of the religious faction and second to the King in power, pitting himself against King Wilhelm. I would rather have liked for Voulhire to acquire the young woman from Caromentis instead of Lord Meldorath as it would encourage some faith in our dear Voulhire's assured victory over her enemies. But then that makes it as wonderful a read as it is. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in Matthew Tsyz’s book series.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It was a thrillingly magical read that had me reading it every chance I could get. I also find it very well written as well as professionally edited with nothing to dislike.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”