Review by ankushavhad -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Review by ankushavhad -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by ankushavhad »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first in the series of nine fantasy novels. The book is a science-fiction novel that introduces a platform for the rest of his upcoming series. It orients you in an alternate, fictional world Voulhire with a remote land of dreams, ruled by a king Wilhem. Voulhire land encompasses multiverse that will explore the magical world Caromentis that stocks magic and full of mysteries.

Voulhire was the kingdom of dark magic and a lot of political instability where good and evil stayed in tandem hand in hand. It remained in constant trouble by the enemies conspired in cold wars, including one of the closest friends.

The story starts with a young man Galen Bray entering Voulhire after he was escaped from the Lands of the Princes after it was war-torn. Galen arrives in the Magnum Caelum city, where his late uncle, Galen Onita, had left an inherited Onita Steel forge through his executor Rowan. Rowan anticipates Galen to settle in the blacksmith trade. However, he was not acquainted with the strange environment and a monarchical system of governance of Voulhire; he stays curious. He learned that the Midius Maido, the King Wilhelm, and First Knight of Voulhire, had a conflicting interest towards one another. King Wilhelm assigns Lord Eldus Alderman, a mayor to develop the State of Hillport and revamp from control from former mayors, Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath. Galen, with Rowan, pledged to uncover the mystery of Voulhire. Galen’s intention to help to restore the land of the greatest wizards and warriors of history taken him on. The story further narrates the mission of chasing the rival group of the neighboring states who seek power in this world.

The author, Matthew Tysz, is a young, outgoing personality. Besides Voulhire, he has worked on several books, including “The Turn” series novels and a stand-alone novel: The Last City of America. Tysz’s writing style keeps a consistent pace and fantasy factor. He intentionally kept the fascinating stories unconcluded. The open threaded suspense leaves the readers to wait for what is next in the series.

This book portrayed Galen in a childish innocence. He possibly would be a lead hero in the successive series. The best approach in this book is Tysz included a map of the Voulhire in the introductory pages. He also provided a link (“voulhire-references” section on his page https://www.matthewtysz.com/) to lead you to the resource of common words, places, and historical matters relevant to the people of Voulhire. The Initial pages are slow-paced in building up the background, introducing the new worlds, characters, and the intriguing plot to the readers. Then the core tale picks up the narration where the scenes describe the extraordinary beauty, culture, celebration, feast, and festive moods that readers could visualize. Imaginations in the story were on par with famous episodes like Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, and similar ones, I often enjoyed. I am sure the twists in the story would surprise readers to take the ride of watching the events in black magic and tempted fights.

I found the book professionally edited, and it has utmost followed the grammar and punctuation norms. Some non-English words do exist. I presume they were intentionally used to the ground of story plot in an alternate world. The topic headings are meaningful to the theme of the story. I happily rate this introductory book in the series 4 out of 4 stars for its best opening to the Voulhire world. I rated it high because of the distinct efforts by the author in developing a strong base of the characters, together with the craft of an engaging storyline and a multi-faceted plot concept. The stories touched every aspect of love, politics, battles, culture, lords, psychology, humanity, adventures, and lastly, the dark magic. Overall, there is nothing I disliked about this book.

Some mild references to adult language and profanity in prose what suits in the context of the scenes, additionally the scenes of lurid violence, dark magic, stabbing, and killing are forming a part of the story. These factors refrain me from recommending this book to minors and weak-minded readers. I recommend this book to the sci-fi, mystery readers, and those who interest in magic and fantasy reading.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tochukwu Godson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tochukwu-godson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tochukwu Godson »

This book is quite engaging, and the story is well crafted. Nice review here!
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

Tochukwu Godson wrote: ↑12 Aug 2020, 02:33 This book is quite engaging, and the story is well crafted. Nice review here!
Rightly said, Tochukwu Godson. Thanks.
Yes, the book really not only engages you but make you curious to hunt for the next part in the series....
:)
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I agree with you. This series is about to be the new rave. It continues to receive 4-star ratings. Thanks for the nice review.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

Olabode Joshua wrote: ↑13 Aug 2020, 15:23 I agree with you. This series is about to be the new rave. It continues to receive 4-star ratings. Thanks for the nice review.
Right Olabode Joshua, thanks.
I liked the first, so I am grabbing next too! Of course, "We are Voulhire" series book(s) deserve the 4/4, it's genuine. :)
Dayodiola
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Tortured in Ashram by Prem Nambiar
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Never seen a fantasy this good.
Aisha_123
2021 Reading Goal: 55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: The Girl With The Buddha Tattoo by Dasha Love

Post by Aisha_123 »

I am curious to see how Galen will turn out in the next books and what became of Hillport. Wonderful review!
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

Aisha_123 wrote: ↑22 Aug 2020, 17:43 I am curious to see how Galen will turn out in the next books and what became of Hillport. Wonderful review!
Thanks Aisha, for your kind words.
Yes, Galen in the next book: The Fires of Virko, encounters even drastic magical fantasies at the industrial city of Virko. I had a review of that volume around.
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

Dayodiola wrote: ↑21 Aug 2020, 17:35 Never seen a fantasy this good.
Hold your breath, Dayodiola. There is even more as you fo further in the Voulhire series. Just read about the 2nd Volume: The Fires of Virko to judge the level of fantasy Matthew has in the store!
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

I enjoyed reading your review! It's great you pointed out the descriptions of cultural aspects this book has to offer. It reminded me of Game of Thrones as well! You've done a great job including all the different topics presented in the first book of the series.
ankushavhad
Currently Reading:

Post by ankushavhad »

azidy wrote: ↑31 Aug 2020, 05:26 I enjoyed reading your review! It's great you pointed out the descriptions of cultural aspects this book has to offer. It reminded me of Game of Thrones as well! You've done a great job including all the different topics presented in the first book of the series.
Right, Azidy.
Yes, this introductory installment, book of the V-series, is on par with Game of Thrones and alike plots we are aware of. Thanks for your kind words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”