Review by jardenjarden -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by jardenjarden -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by jardenjarden »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No one is to call upon his name. To give him attention, even in death, is to surrender to his dark power. Everyone in the Kingdom believes the Dark Lord to be dead, but is he gone for good? Or is this all an elaborate lie the King has come up with to protect his people? In Matthew Tysz’s We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, he spins a narrative detailing a world filled with magic and deceit. The story follows the citizens of Voulhire and those who conspire against the kingdom as the nation faces some of its greatest dangers yet.

This story acts as a foundation for the We are Voulhire series and greatly sets up the action that is pursued throughout the remaining books. This book is one that shifts perspectives in each chapter. It follows various characters, each revealing a different aspect of the background or the plot to give the readers a solid understanding of Voulhire and the mysteries surrounding its past. While there are many different characters, our story focuses on a significant three: Galen Bray, a commoner from the Land of the Princes, Lord Eldus, the new lord of Hillport, and King Wilhelm, the trusted leader of the country. The King says that the previous lord of Hillport, Lord Meldorath, is dead, but his people begin to think otherwise. As each character faces new challenges within this vast land of magic and mystery, horrors are revealed, and truths are uncovered. The King believes he is protecting his people, but could his actions inevitably be what leads them to their demise?

I loved this book from beginning to finish. The various perspectives throughout the book made for a very entertaining read, as I was able to understand various aspects of the world from differeing points of view. Seeing this magical land from the eyes of a commoner who came from a war-ridden island was great for depicting how beautiful and full of promise Voulhire could be to those who explored it. Portraying the political side of ruling a country as well as showing just how difficult covering up the past can be helped me to better understand both the King and Lord Eldus’ intentions behind their actions. Overall, this writing style fit the story very well and kept the book moving at a very fast pace.

Another thing I loved about this book was how Tyze managed to create such an intricate history to the kingdom without droning on too much. Certain aspects of the history and layout of the land were given indirectly, or were used to hint at a bigger picture. This ensured that giving context didn’t hinder the plot and it also managed to build suspension as more about Voulhire’s past was gradually revealed.

Overall, this book was a fantastic read that left me longing to read the other books in the series. Perhaps the most important aspect of this book was the subliminal hinting that even if you have good intentions, lying to those you love to protect them may end up hurting them much more than the truth would have. I would rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars due to its captivating plot, intricate history, and the impeccable editing. This book did use some strong profanity and had some violent depictions of fighting, so I would not recommend it to a young audience. I would recommend this book to any mature reader, especially those who have an interest in fantasy.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Nice and intriguing review from you. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you for your recommendation.
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The consequence of deception by Clarissa nightingale

Post by Elvis Best »

I have read so many good reviews of this book. Good job with your review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I agree with everything that you said! I just reviewed it and loved it as well. I could totally tell that the author put a lot of effort into developing the world of Voulhire. I enjoyed reading your review very much!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Guilty When Black by Carol Mersch

Post by Tomah »

While I felt the series fell short of its potential later on, the first book definitely got me hooked. Thanks for the review!
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I read this installment a while back and was impressed by the shifting perspectives and the steady plot development of the book. Thank you for your amazing review.
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I think that I would love reading this book. Thank you for crafting this great review!
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by jennydelacruz »

I have chosen this book for review, but I haven't started reading it yet. Thank you so much for you entertaining review. I am now excited to start reading!
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

This is a great review.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Moray_001
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Moray_001 »

I have read this first book in the series too and I absolutely enjoyed it! The characters were so unique. This is a great review.
Mounce574
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Battlefield of the Mind
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mounce574.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN

Post by Mounce574 »

I have thought about reading this series many times but couldn't quite decide on it. Your review was very enlightening and it helped me to decide on reading this book. Good job!
"I don't want to dance with the Devil
I just want to confront him at a table
And I don't need your hollow promise
I just need to look you in the eyes and tell you
You didn't help me make it"
Upchurch The Redneck
Slater678
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slater678.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Slater678 »

It will be great to read about the happenings at this state Voulhire with all the deceit and magic. Nice review.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I think I developed a fondness for Lord Meldorath over time and his desire to achieve his ambitions, although his shortcomings brought him across as the villain. Thank you for your comprehensive review. 💫
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Perilous Pills by Marilyn Beardsley Heise

Post by kandscreeley »

The subject of the book is interesting. The author, though, is not my favorite. He's too disjointed for me. It takes too long to piece together the different puzzles. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I had a great time reading this book. Your review is brilliant! Well done.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”