Review by Arite Seki -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arite Seki
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: After You
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by Arite Seki -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by Arite Seki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first instalment in the We are Voulhire book series. This science-fiction/fantasy book begins with a wide-eyed refugee by the name of Galen Bray. Galen inherits his late uncle’s fortune and subsequently moves to the Kingdom of Voulhire. He migrates there from the ‘Land of the Princes’ and thereafter spends his time meeting interesting people while trying to learn the trade of Blacksmithing.

At the start of the novel, there are tales of a conspiracy against the kingdom and a legend of an old and dangerous man. From the beginning, we get the sense that tense drama lurks beneath the surface. We are also introduced to the king of Voulhire and other characters relevant in the kingdom. The king is faced with the challenge of an opposition group intent on destroying the Kingdom of Voulhire, as well as the challenge of trying to reform the recently grieved town of Hillport.

The undertones of a mystery throughout the book kept me on the edge of my seat. It felt as if there was a continuous risk of danger and this was my favourite aspect of the book. I also found it helpful how the author included a guide of words used in the novel that would be unfamiliar to new readers. I found this to be quite helpful as it allowed me to follow the story with ease. There was no aspect of this novel that I disliked as I found myself thoroughly immersed in the drama and action unfolding before me.

This novel receives a 4 out of 4 stars rating. This book is well-edited with no grammatical errors. There seemed to be a puzzle hidden beneath each of the tales. I found myself drawn to certain characters and suspicious of others. I also found the story to bring depth to each of the characters making them more relatable. This was an engaging read as I found myself glued to the pages and constantly trying to figure out the opposition’s next move.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a science-fiction novel with tales of adventure. The characters are interesting, each with underlying motivations to their actions. The story has elements of magic and broaches on the topics of religion and psychology. There is the use of vulgar language, so those sensitive to this are advised against reading.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”