Review by Dave263 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dave263
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dave263.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Dave263 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by Dave263 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under the Great Sky is a Sci-fi magic thriller by Matthew Tysz about a refugee lad named Galen Bray, from the war-torn Land of the Princes who migrates to Magnum Caelum in the great land of Voulhire where he inherits his dead uncle's blacksmith business and property. Galen becomes friends with his uncle's executor and a monk cum imbuer, together they seek to understand the significance of the black stone that the mages are so keenly interested in. But more is unfolding in this great land of Voulhire, the materialistic world the Cosmos is on the brink of an invasion by the powers of the Caromentis the spiritual counter world.

There are people with bad intentions who are taping into the power of magic so that they can rule the Cosmos, thus King Wilhelm of Voulhire learns that Hillport has been attacked by the Riva Rohavi soldiers and possibly that one of the most feared and dangerous mages Meldorath, might have returned from exile.What will the king do, what will Galen and his friends discover about the mysterious stone and its powers, what is Meldorath planning to do now that he is free at last? All this and more will unfold as the story progresses in the sequel book under the 'We Are Voulhire' series.

The setting of the novel is so captivating, the world in this novel is well described and with the help of a map one quickly familiarizes with the environments that make up the story.The introductory passages as narrated by Galen also play a crucial part in understanding the status quo in the novel. I liked the feel that comes with the novel, its shifting from a sombre feel to the lightened mood that comes with Galen's understanding of how much his uncle was a renowned blacksmith in Magnum Caelum and all he had left behind for him, from the poverty stricken life to inheriting a business.

The novel is action packed and intriguing, one thing I also liked was the diction used by Matthew Tysz in writing this novel. Some names of people and places may appear hard to pronounce, but one gets to find a way to pronounce the names. I also loved the way this novels builds up, it's not so predictable, which is a turn up for the book. I could not resist the urge to flip on to the next page and find out what lay next as the story unfolded.

In the novel however, I noticed the use of curses and vulgarities in the conversations mainly by the fancy financier and executor Rowan, though Im not disturbed by his utterances, this may not apply to everyone, since others do not prefer such forms of speech. The novel has no page numbering. I did not notice any typos, which suggest a through editing of the piece, which I hope the author will maintain in the sequels.

The novel like I said is very well plotted and is a great read. I recommend all sci-fi and magic novel lovers to get this novel, young adults and adults can read this novel, minors might not comprehend some of the strong diction that constitute much if not all of the diction. Overall, I rate this piece a 4 out of 4 stars, I can not wait to read the next piece.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I've read the book and loved it! The we are Voulhire series is indeed addicting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”