Review by Honest-reviewer -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Honest-reviewer -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by Honest-reviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a science fiction and fantasy novel written by Matthew Tysz. The story revolves around Galen Bray, who has escaped his hometown and immigrated to Voulhire.

The story begins with Galen escaping from the Lands of Princes after receiving a letter from his great uncle. He is exhausted by seeing the bloodsheds and war in his country and happily migrates to a more peaceful place named Voulhire. Not just this, the story is also set in the other world where magic exists and this world is called Caromentis. But only the people who have found a way can get into this world. Caromentis also has empires and kingdoms. So what do you think? Can a magical world invade the Cosmos? Well, it will be more interesting if you read this book yourself and know what happens next.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first book and an introductory part of the series, We are Voulhire. This is a fascinating book that gives a thorough overview of the plot and the characters of the series. This is a short book containing 150-160 pages which is quite good considering it to be an opening book of the series. I admire the author’s writing style and creativity. He has done a marvelous job of creating the new world.

The best part of the book is the plot itself. The idea of two worlds and the existence of magic is captivating. The author has done a pretty good job of weaving a fictional world realistically. I appreciate how skilfully he has crafted and developed the characters. They seem lively and full of emotions. This is not like historical fiction which is only filled with wars and invasion, but this also mentions some modern elements, like gym, spa, clubs, etc. I especially enjoyed the descriptions given about the cities, the architecture, and also of Caromentis. I do not have many things to say about this novel, as this is just an introductory book. The actual mystery, tension, and drama will be seen in the subsequent books of the series which I am eagerly waiting to read.

There is nothing much that I disliked about this. My only complaint is that the story is slow-paced. This book is more like an extended prologue than a novel. Therefore some scenes of it seemed boring to me, for example, the part where the author describes the country and the citizens at the beginning of the book. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading the book. This looks like a perfect start to a great series.

This book seems to be professionally edited, as I did not find any errors or typos while reading. So, for all the above-mentioned reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This novel does contain profanity and obscene scenes that are not suitable for children. However, I highly recommend this book to everyone who likes reading science fiction and fantasy novels especially the one with a touch of magic in it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I'm currently reading this book and I love it. I think your review was really nice.
Leandra81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leandra81.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Leandra81 »

Im currently reading this book as well and I am enjoying it. Wonderful review.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I have read this book as well. Great review. Good job with the summary.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by khaulah »

I read the book too and completed the review today. I thought it was fantastic. I'm glad you hold the same opinion.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It's interesting that the book is written like an extended prologue. I'm not sure if it would be able to hold my attention. Is there any conflict in the story?
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The consequence of deception by Clarissa nightingale

Post by Elvis Best »

I am not really into science fiction or fantasy, but I enjoyed reading your review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

This book takes us through the story of Galen Bray, who has escaped his hometown and immigrated to Voulhire. I like the concept.
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I find the book fascinating since it mixes both the science fiction and fantasy literary genres. I am glad to know that this book is professionally edited. Great review!
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Deacon by Thomas Fargnoli

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a great opening book for the series. The author seems to be meticulous in introducing the characters and the worlds. Thanks for your thorough review!
"Choose your heroes wisely."
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

I'm currently reading this book, and it is enjoyable. Thanks for your insightful review.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

I am yet to read any of the series from this author. I am going to check one out soon. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Letora wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 16:25 It's interesting that the book is written like an extended prologue. I'm not sure if it would be able to hold my attention. Is there any conflict in the story?
Not a major one. This is just an introduction to the series. But it’s important to read this for you to understand the upcoming events.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading:

Vic Chimezie wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 06:01 I am yet to read any of the series from this author. I am going to check one out soon. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation!
Reader047 wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 03:19 I'm currently reading this book, and it is enjoyable. Thanks for your insightful review.
MsH2k wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 00:42 This sounds like a great opening book for the series. The author seems to be meticulous in introducing the characters and the worlds. Thanks for your thorough review!
aaurba wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 22:09 I find the book fascinating since it mixes both the science fiction and fantasy literary genres. I am glad to know that this book is professionally edited. Great review!
Chickenwings00 wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 18:07 This book takes us through the story of Galen Bray, who has escaped his hometown and immigrated to Voulhire. I like the concept.
Elvis Best wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 17:34 I am not really into science fiction or fantasy, but I enjoyed reading your review. Good job!
khaulah wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 14:55 I read the book too and completed the review today. I thought it was fantastic. I'm glad you hold the same opinion.
AntonelaMaria wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 14:48 I have read this book as well. Great review. Good job with the summary.
Leandra81 wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 13:01 Im currently reading this book as well and I am enjoying it. Wonderful review.
Josep22 wrote: 08 Aug 2020, 12:59 I'm currently reading this book and I love it. I think your review was really nice.
Thanks for commenting!! :) :)
Asshh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asshh »

This sci-Fi sounds interesting. Voulhire seems to be a great place. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”