Review by naomilupton_98 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by naomilupton_98 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by naomilupton_98 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Galen Bray is an immigrant from the war-torn Lands of the Princes, brought to the kingdom of Voulhire to take over his uncle’s forgery. Eldus Alderman is the newly appointed lord of a small fishing town whose residents are haunted by the abominable actions of their previous leaders. King Wilhelm Arcolo is the ruler attempting to lead his kingdom into the golden age. But enemies are closer and stronger than they seem, threatening the prosperity of Voulhire.

Matthew Tysz describes a complex and compelling world where science, faith, and magic seem to be at odds with each other – at least in the eyes of its populace. In a way, the novel is an accurate portrayal of mankind as we know it. Some look out only for themselves, only interested in furthering their own wealth and standing whereas others want to look out for their fellow countrymen. "A New Arrival under Great Skies" is the introductory novel to the 9-part We Are Voulhire series.

I loved the complexity of the world of Voulhire, the interactions between different peoples and individuals as each strives to make their own part of the kingdom prosperous. The different characters and their personalities, goals and desires make them even more believable and relatable. It is a refreshing take on fantasy and sci-fi. The novel’s descriptions are quite detailed, but do not stunt the progression of the tale. The novel seems to have been professionally edited, and I did not find any spelling or grammatical errors. It perfectly sets the scene for the rest of the series.

Profane and vulgar language is used, although not excessively, and some sexual acts are mentioned. Some scenes are descriptive and violent in nature. For these reasons I would not recommend this novel, and by extension, this series, to younger readers.

I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. The pace was adequate, the settings detailed, the characters intriguing. The editing was exceptionally well done, and I could not find any errors – spelling or grammatical. For that reason, I give this novel a rating of 4 out of 4. Despite the profane language and instances of sexual encounters, I am still interested in reading about everything that Voulhire has to offer and cannot justify subtracting a star from the rating. I highly recommend this book to older readers who enjoy either fantasy or sci-fi novels.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”