Review by Teele -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Teele
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by Teele -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Teele »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is a struggle. That has always been the reality for the protagonist, Galen. This complex and suspense-filled drama held me in its grip from its very first page. Matthew Tysz's creative and imaginative mind shines through this awesome book titled: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies.

Galen lived in one of the island cities of the princes. These island cities are decomposing under the maniacal rule of the emperor's four sons. The cities are war-torn, and life is almost impossible for all and sundry. In a sudden twist of events, Galen finds a rare opportunity to make a mad dash out of the land of the princes.

Galen's story is one of the many complex plots in this book. The story follows Galen into Voulhire. Here, a new kind of life unfolds. Strange and unexpected events occur when they are least expected. One cannot help but fall in love with the noble attributes of King Wilhelm. Rowan is another complex entity. The people of Riva Rohavi also contributed much to the twists in the story.

I would describe this book as captivating. The plots are gracefully intertwined. Desirable qualities in the protagonist are highlighted, and the narrative is simple. This book lives up to its theme. Its description of everyday life is brilliant and colorful. It added life to the story. I felt as if I was physically present in Voulhire. Also, the book was filled with suspense and intrigue.

As a lover of humor, I was disappointed to note that humor was lacking in the dialogue. Also, there were instances of profanity in the text. The major portion of the story was also devoted to magic and the supernatural. This would make this book unfit for readers who are sensitive to profane speech and magic. On the other hand, the plots are free of sexual, violent, and shocking scenes. Tysz has done a great job of editing this book. I found no grammatical or typographical errors.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was excellently delivered. Young, impressionable readers need not fear being tainted by unnecessary sexual actions. There is much to learn from the personality of the protagonist. I was able to gather some facts about the techniques of forging. The story was also spiced with a bit of history. Lovers of fiction and magic would find this book to be interesting.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This is also one of my latest reviews. I enjoyed reading this. Great review!
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Wedding Girl
Bookshelf Size: 625
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Grant Justice by Robert Gregory Fegers
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

Matthew Tysz is really tops in creativity and imagination. His The Last City of America gives me the creeps, especially with this virus wreaking havoc the world over. Prophetic? God forbid!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 369
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics by Thomas Hraynyk

Post by kandscreeley »

I think humor is important in a series story. It helps breaks things up. It's too bad this didn't contain any of that. I think the explicit content would put me off as well. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Am currently reading this and would agree with you that indeed it's a great book.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Thanks for a detailed review, it's not my preferred genre but it sounds like a good choice for readers who like fantasy.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell

Post by Prisallen »

Your description of the book has made me want to read it; although, like you, I prefer to have some humor in the stories I read. Nonetheless, it sounds fascinating. Great review!
Latest Review: Vengeful by AJ Parnell
Teele
Currently Reading:

Post by Teele »

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 17:54 Matthew Tysz is really tops in creativity and imagination. His The Last City of America gives me the creeps, especially with this virus wreaking havoc the world over. Prophetic? God forbid!
Hahaha. He is really talented. Thanks for commenting.
Teele
Currently Reading:

Post by Teele »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 19:10 I think humor is important in a series story. It helps breaks things up. It's too bad this didn't contain any of that. I think the explicit content would put me off as well. Thanks!
Honest-reviewer wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 14:27 This is also one of my latest reviews. I enjoyed reading this. Great review!
Phelicia Gloria wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 20:00 Am currently reading this and would agree with you that indeed it's a great book.
Leen282 wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 00:10 Thanks for a detailed review, it's not my preferred genre but it sounds like a good choice for readers who like fantasy.
Thanks for your positive response.
Teele
Currently Reading:

Post by Teele »

Prisallen wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 07:32 Your description of the book has made me want to read it; although, like you, I prefer to have some humor in the stories I read. Nonetheless, it sounds fascinating. Great review!
Yes, it is fascinating. Thanks for stopping by.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 17:54 Matthew Tysz is really tops in creativity and imagination. His The Last City of America gives me the creeps, especially with this virus wreaking havoc the world over. Prophetic? God forbid!
Haha! That sounded funny, even though you were being serious.

The review is straight-forward and on the dot. Good job! I am currently reading the book; I hope Galen doesn't disappoint.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The consequence of deception by Clarissa nightingale

Post by Elvis Best »

Galen's story sounds very interesting. Thanks for this insightful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
aaurba
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaurba.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by aaurba »

I like reading suspense-filled novels, so I might want to check this out. Great review!
Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

I didn't want to read the book because it might have sexual scenes and violence, but now that that's cleared up-Voulhire here we come!
Ayora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayora.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ayora »

Matthew Tysz seems to be a creative author. It's good that the book is free of shocking scenes.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”