Official Review: Black Soul Eater by Bryan Nyaude

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: Begotten by Joseph Crew

Official Review: Black Soul Eater by Bryan Nyaude

Post by Vic Chimezie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Soul Eater" by Bryan Nyaude.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The thought of causing pain excites him. He is not your usual protagonist. His name is Rave!

Black Soul Eater by Bryan Nyaude is the third book of the Legacies of Monsters series. But this piece can stand on its own and be enjoyed without reading the other books in the series. This book is about Rave, a monstrous and immortal assassin who is on a journey to recover his lost soul. To do this, Rave needs to find the only book that can save him. He must, therefore, fight through witches, monsters, ghouls, and shape-shifters to get to the elusive book. In the course of his journey, he discovers he could live a happy life at the expense of reclaiming his soul. But will Rave forsake his soul for the possibility of ever being happy? Time will tell.

Firstly, I need to warn readers who don't like stories with dark magic, vile creatures, and ghouls to steer clear of this one. I do not wish to witness any of the events described in this book, even in my wildest nightmare. But I enjoyed reading this book, so much so that I am sure anyone who picks it up will be thrilled by the level of imagery that bespangles this book.

Bryan is a gifted storyteller! There is no dull moment from start to finish, and I am sure the twist at the end will shock you. More so, He created an atmosphere of suspense in this book that wouldn't let me give it a rest. His description of the characters and their surroundings seem so real and easy to picture. There's also a progressive knowledge of them as the story unfolds. Bryan's use of simile in this book is also impressive. One such example is, "It was his eyes that made us cower with untold fear. They glowed blue as if they were small, miniature suns." I love that!

I love the style used in writing this book. The first-person point of view used in telling the story creates a close relationship between the reader and the protagonist. Although this protagonist is vile, you will find yourself empathizing with him. Amid the chaos and foul creatures, the author also manages to bring in some humor that will make you chuckle. I love how the author portrayed Adelia, one of the children separated from their parents. I couldn't help but laugh at her actions and conversations with Rave.

Black Soul Eater deserves the maximum rating, but it is let down by poor proofreading. The typos and grammatical errors are so much that I have to take out one star. I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book is unsuitable for kids due to the violence and horror creatures in it. I am recommending it to mature fantasy adventure readers, especially those that love horror stories.

Black Soul Eater
View: on Bookshelves

Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Ordinarily, I love a good dark fantasy story. However, this one sounds a bit too dark for me. The book seems to be well written and the premise is sure to captivate the reader. Such a pity about the editing though. Thanks for the review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Adanna Inya »

This isn't my genre as I don't like horror movies or books. But can Rave have it all? The good life and his soul? Thank you for an insightful review.

Olabode Joshua
2018 Reading Goal: 200
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Great review! I'm sure this book contains all the thrills. However, like you said, I wouldn't want to experience any of it in reality. The cover says it all
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Valkyrie9 wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 02:13
Ordinarily, I love a good dark fantasy story. However, this one sounds a bit too dark for me. The book seems to be well written and the premise is sure to captivate the reader. Such a pity about the editing though. Thanks for the review.
Thank you very much for finding time to read and comment! You will enjoy this book if you try!

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Adanna Inya wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 02:28
This isn't my genre as I don't like horror movies or books. But can Rave have it all? The good life and his soul? Thank you for an insightful review.
It's an alluring book. ☺. Thank you for finding time to read and comment.

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Olabode Joshua wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 02:54
Great review! I'm sure this book contains all the thrills. However, like you said, I wouldn't want to experience any of it in reality. The cover says it all
Very thrilling book I must say. Thanks for finding time to read and comment.

Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Teele »

Firstly, I need to warn readers who don't like stories with dark magic, vile creatures, and ghouls to steer clear of this one
I think I'll do just that. Thanks for a great review.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Elvis Best »

Ah, this protagonist sends chills down my spine. This book sounds both scary and entertaining. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Teele wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 04:37
Firstly, I need to warn readers who don't like stories with dark magic, vile creatures, and ghouls to steer clear of this one
I think I'll do just that. Thanks for a great review.
:lol: Am sure you can handle it though. Thanks for the kind words.

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Elvis Best wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 04:48
Ah, this protagonist sends chills down my spine. This book sounds both scary and entertaining. Great review!
You can handle it Elvis.... :lol: Thanks for reading and commenting.

DakotesMahGotes
Currently Reading: Tolkien: A Miscellany
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotesmahgotes.html
Latest Review: Inferno Dawn by Jacob Emrey

Post by DakotesMahGotes »

Sound`s like a G.R.R.M character in a Lovecraft world. My interest is piqued. Thanks for the review.

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading:

Post by Vic Chimezie »

DakotesMahGotes wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 08:44
Sound`s like a G.R.R.M character in a Lovecraft world. My interest is piqued. Thanks for the review.
You will enjoy it! Thank you for finding time to read and comment.

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: Remove After Flight
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Surviving Anstey by Susan Hancock

Post by Juliet+1 »

I don't usually read horror novels (unless they are written by Stephen King), but this one sounds especially good. I love the premise -- a soul versus a good life. Thanks for a very helpful review. :D

Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: Quietus in the Garden of Deceit by Richard Nehrebecki

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a gripping book. I love dark fantasy novels. It is a shame about the errors though. Thank you for an enjoyable review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”