Review by Kreads1 -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Kreads1 -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Kreads1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred B. Baker is a book from the science fiction genre, intertwined with fantasy elements.

When explorer Randall Taylor fails to return from his latest expedition, his nephew is tasked with settling his uncle’s estate. Soon, Dr. Grant Taylor, a geologist, travels to Saint Petersburg, Russia to carry out his task. The executor of the estate, Boris Ustinov, both Randall’s attorney, and friend, informs Grant that his uncle has been missing for over a year and is presumed dead. Ustinov’s niece and legal aid, Irina, is assigned to assist Grant in settling his uncle’s estate. While cleaning Randall’s apartment, Grant soon learns that it holds mystifying clues, which he withholds from Irina and others. Grant begins to decipher these clues, learning more about his uncle’s expedition to the area known as Zona, also known as The Forbidden Land, located in Siberia. Randall’s expedition to Zona was not successful, with only one known survivor, Colonel Max Volkov. Colonel Volkov has established a new team ready to explore Zona and its surroundings in a recovery expedition.

As Volkov is preparing for his expedition, a romance is kindled between Grant and Irina, despite the uneasiness Grant feels towards her. Plagued by a series of troubling events in Russia, Grant and Irina soon find themselves part of Volkov’s expedition team. The recovery expedition to Zona begins, the team unaware of the mysterious details pertaining to the nature of Randall’s expedition, the dangers they will face, and the discoveries they will make along the way. Will the recovery expedition be a success? Will Grant find closure in his uncle’s presumed death?

The mystery surrounding Zona is captivating. The author provides a detailed storyline with appropriately timed plot twists that further heighten the mystery, suspense, and action evident throughout the book. The characters are fully developed and evolve as a result of their experiences. This evolution is paramount as their expedition proceeds. I was further captivated by the unusual animals that inhabit Zona. Like the human characters, the author develops the animal characters in a brilliant manner.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this book. While this book is mysterious, there were one or two instances where it seemed the author revealed details that solved a mystery early-on. I would have preferred to remain in suspense longer or have additional details revealed as the storyline progressed. Despite this criticism, these instances are not a distraction from the suspense nor do I feel that they would deter a reader from enjoying the book.

Readers who enjoy science fiction, mystery, and fantasy genres would find themselves enthralled with Zona: The Forbidden Land. I personally feel that the science fiction portion of this book is outweighed by the mystery and fantasy aspects of the storyline. In addition, those with a scientific background or interest would find themselves intrigued by the biological, geological, and botanical references made throughout the book.

It should be noted that this book contains several instances of profanity, adult content, and graphic descriptions of death or dying. For this reason, I would recommend that this book be reserved for mature or adult readers. Furthermore, I would not recommend this book to individuals with strong religious convictions, sensitivity towards themes of violence towards animals and/or humans, or those that may be bothered by descriptions of what some would consider deviant sexual behavior.

This book was well written and professionally edited with only one grammatical error noted.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and would be pleased to see a sequel from the author.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Man Under The Elm by Gerry Wycherley
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

Congratualations on a great review. I noticed that you were looking forward to a sequel. When I read the book, I felt that the author wrote this one with the intention of writing another. There were some unanswered questions.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

Thank you Diana! I agree, there are certainly some unanswered questions. Hopefully you are correct in that assessment because I’m looking forward to having those questions answered.
julierl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julierl.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by julierl »

Thats good review quite inviting. It's in my shelf now. Thanks!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Ada Ling »

Same here. I read this book and enjoyed reading it. Well done review!
Allinali botha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allinali botha »

Interesting indeed I think am switching my hobbies to reading now good story

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”