Review by Christiana+- -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christiana+-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Christiana+- -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Christiana+- »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Masters and Bastards is an amazing historical novel that narrates the life, and the challenges faced by Beowin Andreas Marset in the Colonial Dominion, now referenced as a new America. After the fall of the Arpathian empire, Marset, who was described as an Arpathian young man, was left with no option but to live as an alien in the colonial dominion. Also, as a Legionary in the Iberian army, Marset lives to have no opinion of his own but to obey every command giving by him by his superior, either from the palace or in the army. The novel contains twenty-eight chapters, four hundred and forty-seven pages, and it’s written by Christopher J. Penington.

The Iberian empire as being a place where there is discrimination between the true sons and daughters of the land and bastards. As I read this novel further, I get to know that Emperor Constantine who is the current ruler of the Iberian empire was also described as a bastard. After this knowledge, I was left with curiosity in my heart to know who are now the Masters when the ruler of the empire is also a bastard.

Emperor Constantine has been facing a lot of political rivalry in the palace. His second queen who is telepathic has been doing everything in her capacity to be the next emperor of the land, but Constantine’s wish is to hand over his throne to the seed of his beloved daughter Isabella Caravingian. To achieve this, he made Marset, Isabella’s suitor, which later brought war to the palace between the followers of the second queen and his followers.

I love the fact that Emperor Constantine did not choose a suitor for his daughter based on the current status of Marset, but he could look beyond what others are seeing concerning Marset. Marset proves Constantine right during the war that breaks out between the Iberian empire and the Scythians empire. During this war, Marset displays his leadership skill, which makes him victorious in every battle he fought. This also brought him higher positions in the army. Marset was later saddled with the responsibility of negotiating how to end the war between the two countries.

This novel is so educative and interesting. I learn how to look beyond the present, and also how to overcome life challenges. There is nothing I dislike about this novel. I can not recommend this novel to young readers because it contains a few erotic scenes. I rate Masters and Bastards 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to people who are always eager to learn.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

This seems very interesting, I wanted to review it in the past but couldn't. Nice review :)
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough

Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: Fairytale of a Felony Stalker by Miranda Dye

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not too much into historical fiction so I think I'll skip Masters and Bastards, however, I enjoyed your review a lot. Thank you!

Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I reviewed this book and thought it was really interesting. Thanks for your review.

Christiana+-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Christiana+- »

Thanks for all your comments.

Adeniyi+samson-
Favorite Book: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeniyi-samson.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Adeniyi+samson- »

Yes, I also read the book some times ago and it was interesting. Thanks for your review.

sam-4jesus+
2019 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-4jesus.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by sam-4jesus+ »

The plots in this novel is what I enjoy the most. Thanks for the review.

Divergent fire
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-fire.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: Mobile

Post by Divergent fire »

Great review..!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”