Review by Josep22 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by Josep22 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Josep22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"My name is Gary Jackson, and like you, I will probably live forever."

This statement in the opening pages of this book caught my eyes and captured my attention. After that, I couldn't stop flipping through the pages of this quite intriguing book. The theory of the multiverse states that there are infinite parallel universes containing every possibility for any particular situation. I loved the parking ticket analogy, that if I got a parking ticket, there is always a parallel universe where I did not get it and yet another where my car was stolen. Adam Guest, in this fiction book, Worldlines, asks and answers these intriguing questions using a more interesting situation, death. What if death isn't guaranteed and we only think it is because everyone else around us is dying?

The book tells the story of Gary Jackson, a physics student at the University College of Southern England. With the help of his lecturer, Professor Leyton Buzzard, they explore the different possibilities around a near-death experience that Gary had on the road. The author narrates to us the two worldlines in Gary's life, one where he is hit by a lorry and sustains serious injuries and the other where he barely escapes being hit by a lorry. In one of those universes, he is the boyfriend to Michelle while in the other, Michelle rejects him. It gets quite interesting, he stabs someone in what was supposed to be a dream but is surprised when witnesses come forward and claim to have seen him kill. He is actually tried in court for murder. The question then poses itself: what if our dreams could turn into a reality? You sure want to read the book to get answers to some of these intriguing yet vital questions.

I absolutely loved this book. The plot of the story flowed really smoothly and effortlessly. The storyline, though not straightforward, was quite fascinating. I loved how the author incorporated his scientific theories and a beautiful family set-up without any hitches. The family story made the book sound even more authentic. It also added to the characters in the book, who were built-up really well, making the book really rich.

Adam's style of writing is impeccable. I loved that he wrote in the first person and that a lot of dialogue was involved. This added life to the book and made it even more plausible. I particularly loved the first conversation between professor Buzzard and Gary. It was interesting and thought-provoking. Buzzard comes out as not just smart, intelligent, and calm but also precise. He asks the right questions and almost every time gets the reaction he wants, that is, conjuring thoughts in his students' minds.

Unlike most sci-fiction books, this one addresses several themes in an effortless way. I liked the school set-up and the romance themes introduced. They were just conventional campus relationships which brought a different feel to the book. I loved the character of Gary. He was calm, intelligent, and most importantly real. I could not point out a thing I disliked about the book.

I give this book a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book was professionally edited as I noticed very few errors. It contains some profanity and few erotic scenes and would, therefore, be suitable for readers above the legal age. I'd recommend the book to all lovers of physics and all those interested in the multiverse theory.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The mutiverse theory sounds rather interesting. Thanks for this inshgtful review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Elvis Best wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 08:04 The mutiverse theory sounds rather interesting. Thanks for this inshgtful review. Good job!
It is interesting, intriguing and thought provoking. Thanks for your comment.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

What an amazing perspective on this book. I also reviewed this book and loved it. Thank you for your review.
Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:32 What an amazing perspective on this book. I also reviewed this book and loved it. Thank you for your review.
Thank you for the comment.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lovely review! I just started enjoying sci-fi books recently and I think this one is a sure candidate for my bookshelf. Thank you for your recommendation.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I've read very many positive opinions about this book :) Also, I too prefer when a book is written in a first person's perspective. Thank you for a great review!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Definitely sounds like a book full of twists and questions of everyday life. I am absolutely interested in reading the book. Thanks!
Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 11:47 Lovely review! I just started enjoying sci-fi books recently and I think this one is a sure candidate for my bookshelf. Thank you for your recommendation.
Be sure to enjoy it Vic, thanks for your comment.
Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Ellylion wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 12:57 I've read very many positive opinions about this book :) Also, I too prefer when a book is written in a first person's perspective. Thank you for a great review!
I hope you enjoy it too. Thanks for your comment.
Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Alice Ngugi wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 14:10 Definitely sounds like a book full of twists and questions of everyday life. I am absolutely interested in reading the book. Thanks!
Thanks for your comment Alice.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

This is my favorite book here in OBC! I will not get tired of recommending this book to someone. Even though the book ended, it still gives me post-reading thoughts that causes me to worry or be happy. Nice review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Josep22
Currently Reading:

Post by Josep22 »

Miks_solon wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 02:03 This is my favorite book here in OBC! I will not get tired of recommending this book to someone. Even though the book ended, it still gives me post-reading thoughts that causes me to worry or be happy. Nice review.
I'm glad you enjoyed the book just like I did. Definitely worth a read by everyone. Thanks for your comment.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

The forever haunting question of "what if". Sounds like Worldlines offers quite a few possible answers. Thank you for your great review!
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

I love how detailed you review is. I am intrigued by the plot. i hope I get it on my list.

Thanks for a great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”