Review by Kreads1 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Kreads1 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by Kreads1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty is the first book in the Solaris Saga, a four part series in the science fiction genre.

Rynah, a pilot in the Lanyran fleet, soon discovers that her newly established fiance॔, Klanor, is not who she believes. While Rynah is on duty in the geo-lab an attack ensues, led by Klanor. Klanor succeeds in stealing planet Lanyr’s stabilizing crystal from the geo-lab. The planet of Lanyr is ravaged by unstable magnetic forces as a result of the displaced crystal. Rynah escapes certain death with the help of Solaris, a ship programmed with artificial intelligence by Marlow, Rynah’s late grandfather. Rynah learns of an ancient prophecy that tells the story of six crystals with the power to create or destroy. In the wrong hands, the combined crystals form a deadly weapon that can destroy entire solar systems. Faced with Klanor’s betrayal and the knowledge of his plot to successfully steal the remaining five crystals Rynah is determined to utilize the ancient prophecy to foil the nefarious intentions of Klanor.

According to the prophecy Rynah’s success depends on assistance from four heroes: the “philosopher”, the “warrior”, the “lover”, and the “inventor”. Four unlikely heroes arrive on Solaris, transported from the parallel universe of the Terra Sector. After the shock of their transportation wears off, Rynah informs them of the ancient prophecy, which they are now a part of. This team of heroes from different time periods and backgrounds will be forced to collaborate if there is any chance the mission to retrieve the crystals will be successful. Will the challenges faced by Rynah and her team be too much to overcome? Will the team be able to prevent the raining destruction of Klanor?

This book pulled me in from the beginning and kept me desiring more through the vivid imagery, action, and suspense the author cleverly weaves throughout the entirety of the book. As a result, the reader readily forms visions of the characters, planets, and story line. These elements, combined with an action packed plot, certainly hold the readers’ interest. I would classify this book as a true page turner, as I found myself eager to see what Rynah and her team would be tasked with next. Despite the great attention to detail, the author provides ample suspense and foreshadowing of events to come, leaving the reader yearning to read the remainder of the book and series.

In addition to the action and suspense, the author allows the reader to have an emotional experience, through character development. For a successful mission, five strangers must work together toward a common goal. During their journey together they are discovering more about themselves and the others. As the characters are developing and bonding to one another, the reader is able to do the same. Connections between the strengths and weaknesses of each character and the experiences that led them to their current “selves” are made. It was through these connections that I found myself emotionally invested in the characters.

Admittedly, it was hard to find something that I did not enjoy regarding this book. If I had to choose one concession it would be that, at times, I found myself seeking additional storyline related to events and/or character development. Given the detail displayed in this first installment of the series I feel confident that the author will provide the additional storyline that I’m seeking in later installments.

I would highly recommend this book to those interested in science fiction that is engaging, vivid, and suspenseful while remaining easy to comprehend. In addition, those interested in the fantasy genre would greatly enjoy this book due to the nature of the vivid imagery and character development. Furthermore, if Solaris Seethes is any indication of the quality of the remaining three books in the Solaris Saga, readers who enjoy a well written series will be pleased.

This book was very well edited, no spelling or grammatical errors were noted. There were three instances of what some would consider borderline usages of profanity (very mild) that occur, as well as some reference to adult content (1 on a scale of 0 to 5). With this in mind, I would recommend that readers be aged 14 and above.

Overall Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty is a highly engaging page turner guaranteed to captivate readers. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Chickenwings00
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chickenwings00.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Chickenwings00 »

This book gives us some clear definitions of success. It's an enjoyable read, and I liked the author's concept. The review is nicely written.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”