Review by Haywhyre7 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haywhyre7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haywhyre7.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Review by Haywhyre7 -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Haywhyre7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"When we all fall asleep, where do we go..?" - Pop artiste Billie Eilish.

A theory discussed in a physics classroom becomes reality as Gary Jackson's life takes a dramatic turn when he finds himself accused of the murder of his girlfriend and soulmate, Michelle. A murder and act he has no memory of.
In a gripping tale which explores the existence of alternate realities referred to as Worldlines, Gary Jackson finds out the murder of his girlfriend was perpetrated by another Gary in another Worldline who temporarily took control of his body while in a lucid dream.
When all seems bleak, help comes in the form of eccentric physics mind, Professor Buzzard, Gary's best friend, Sinead, and experienced lucid dreamer, Betsy Cohen. Will Gary Jackson get saved on time, or is he going to serve a life sentence for a murder he didn't commit?

Worldlines by Adam Guest is a sci-fi psychological thriller, narrated from the point of view of the protagonist in a gradual, progressive pace which accelerates as the plot deepens.
Readers will get reeled in, as the story moves across several Worldlines, intelligently coded by Guest using colours (Red line, blue line, black line, etc). The novel sought to explain that while dreaming, we are unconsciously sifting through different realities across Worldlines and an action in a Worldline would yield a different outcome in another Worldline.

I think what I liked best about the novel, was the relative ease the Many Worlds theory was explained, without having to force it down reader's throats as many sci-fi authors tend to do; focusing too much on the details and not on the reader's understanding.
Using dialogue between the characters, the theory was subtly broken down and made relatable. Also, as the novel progressed back and forth across the Worldlines, I expected the transitions to run out of sync, but the author kept them consistent and engaging till the end of the novel.

In addition, I enjoyed the attention that was given to all the characters. Each of them were explicitly described with detail, especially those closest to the protagonist, and this helped solidify and widen the plot.The novel was also easy to read, and had an interesting, engaging flow that kept me stuck to the very last page.

I would recommend Worldlines to all readers, as you don't have to be a big fan of the sci-fi genre to enjoy the novel, though, I would suggest it for young adults, as many of the expressions used in dialogue by the main characters would be relatable.

Overall, I rate the novel 4 out of 4 stars as I found nothing wrong with the book. There were a few spacing errors here and there but none that affected the flow of my reading. The novel was clearly well-thought out, and the plot was very refreshing and original. If you're in need of a book you wouldn't put down so easily, with interesting characters, combined with an intriguing sci-fi theme that would leave you thinking, then you need to check it out.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluwadara31
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oluwadara31 »

Nice review..i haven't read the novel but your summary has definitely helped pique my interest. I can't wait to start reading
Timothy8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Timothy8 »

I love novels that explore alternate realities and multiverse theories. I'm definitely going to be reading this
Haywhyre7
Currently Reading:

Post by Haywhyre7 »

Oluwadara31 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 06:55 Nice review..i haven't read the novel but your summary has definitely helped pique my interest. I can't wait to start reading
I'm glad it did... Have a good read
Haywhyre7
Currently Reading:

Post by Haywhyre7 »

Timothy8 wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 07:07 I love novels that explore alternate realities and multiverse theories. I'm definitely going to be reading this
Have a good read

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”