Official Review: Lucy by Thea Ramsay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 353
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Monster Hotel by Susan and Mark Kibbe

Official Review: Lucy by Thea Ramsay

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucy" by Thea Ramsay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is at war. There is no safe place; every day there are sirens, and everyone has to don a suit for protection. To survive there are only two options. First, find a new planet that will accept your family as one of their own. However, these are few and far between, which is why many choose the second option. Happy Endings. Whole families choose death and the afterlife rather than continuing to live on a world that is seemingly doomed.

This is the world that Lucy, an eleven-year-old, is growing up in. Kim, her best friend, has it even worse. You see, her family abuses her; Lucy is the only happy spot in her life. Just when Lucy's family decides there's nothing left but a Happy Ending, they find a new planet. What is the new world like? Will Lucy be able to just leave Kim behind?

Lucy by Thea Ramsay is a young adult science fiction story with plenty of adventure to keep wandering minds engaged. There is some language as well as adult themes, so the readership should be confined to older teenagers. Be forewarned, though, the ending is the definition of a cliffhanger.

The story is told from the third-person perspective, and I really enjoyed Lucy, Kim, and their friendship. Lucy isn't perfect, but her sense of loyalty is quite admirable. I daresay that's what saved her family. The author made the characters family to me, which is the mark of any good author.

The new planet that Lucy and her family find is fairytale perfect, and it was intriguing to learn about it. Nonetheless, there are a few details that are glossed over. For example, everyone in the book seems to speak English, even the ones on a different planet. Still, this didn't affect my enjoyment.

There is an element of mystery that lends an enigmatic air to the story. I enjoyed trying to figure out who was behind what and why. Yet, I was a bit irked that almost nothing is wrapped up, forcing the reader to buy the next book. I would much rather read the book because I enjoyed the first one that much.

Another drawback was that the dialogue was sometimes stilted. One of the characters repeats herself several times saying: “Very well. When shall I tell the kids, and what?” I don't hear many speak in such a manner. While this happens several times, it was easy to overlook after getting involved in the story.

Since the positives were minor and outweigh the negatives, I give Lucy 4 out of 4 stars. I wouldn't recommend this if you like the story to be in a nice, neat package. If adventure, intrigue, and other worlds interest you, you should pick this up.

Lucy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: The Miracle by James M. LeBlanc

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, Lucy must have been really scared in such a world! I enjoyed reading this review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Crescentine
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentine.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Crescentine »

What i love and hate about a book are the cliffhanger endings, they compel you to get the next book because till you know what happened you won't be satisfied. And this book sounds intriguing because of that, i really hope that the next one is as good or better.
Thanks for writing. :)

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Transcendental
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Post by NetMassimo »

Good to know that there are themes suitable for adults as well, as I'm too old for young adult books. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Latest Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

The storyline sounds like a winner. I must commend the author's talents. Thank you for this informative and insightful review. I enjoyed reading it! And thank you for the recommendation.

Ishaa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ishaa »

On the basis of review i won't like to read the book because i had crossed my teenage but i am being curious to know the reason of four out of four stars after so many flaws. So at the end i am curious to read the book as well. Thanks for the review

AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I enjoyed reading this review, it was interesting and informative. I'd like to read this book if I get the chance to.
Live and let live, baby!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Elvis Best wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 13:43
Wow, Lucy must have been really scared in such a world! I enjoyed reading this review. Good job!
A lot happens to poor little Lucy, that's for sure! I would love to see how the story continues in the next book. Thanks for commenting.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Crescentine wrote:
08 Aug 2020, 22:30
What i love and hate about a book are the cliffhanger endings, they compel you to get the next book because till you know what happened you won't be satisfied. And this book sounds intriguing because of that, i really hope that the next one is as good or better.
Thanks for writing. :)
I prefer when an author hooks you simply by their excellent writing to read the next in the series. However, I suppose cliffhangers have a place as well. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 01:42
Good to know that there are themes suitable for adults as well, as I'm too old for young adult books. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Can you ever be too old for young adult books? Nah! Anyway, I think most would enjoy this book. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Vic Chimezie wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 01:53
The storyline sounds like a winner. I must commend the author's talents. Thank you for this informative and insightful review. I enjoyed reading it! And thank you for the recommendation.
It's really a very interesting and entertaining book. I would recommend it. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ishaa wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 02:00
On the basis of review i won't like to read the book because i had crossed my teenage but i am being curious to know the reason of four out of four stars after so many flaws. So at the end i am curious to read the book as well. Thanks for the review
I think you're never too old to enjoy a good young adult book. That's just me, though. It's somewhat simple, but we all need that from time to time. Thanks for commenting.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AnnOgochukwu wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 04:57
I enjoyed reading this review, it was interesting and informative. I'd like to read this book if I get the chance to.
Well, I do hope that you are able to take a few moments and read this. If not this, at least something. Reading is good for the soul.
-Louisa May Alcott

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

More than anything, I find a book whose characters are well-executed to be very attractive. I enjoyed reading your summary of the book and how it referenced the sarcastic - yet creative title.
Thank you for the great job!

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: How To Pack An Alpaca Pack by Cowboy Worm

Post by Cecilia_L »

Although sci-fi isn't my favorite genre, I occasionally enjoy those with strong characters and an element of mystery, so this one piques my interest. Thanks!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”