Review by Wonna33 -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wonna33
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonna33.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B07M8QVTK1

Review by Wonna33 -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Wonna33 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land is a science fiction novel by author Fred G. Baker. The story starts in Saint Petersburg Russia, where Dr. Grant Taylor has just arrived from Chicago to take over his uncle’s worldly possessions. He recently inherited it all when his uncle Randall is presumed dead, after going missing during his last expedition a year before. Grant doesn’t believe his uncle is dead, despite being told he wouldn’t have been able to survive out there.

His motivation to find his uncle intensifies when he is offered a chance to go on an expedition to Zona to do a possible search and rescue. While on this dangerous mission, Grant realizes there were no exaggerations about what would be waiting for them on the way to Zona and beyond. As they get closer, threat levels rise and they are forced to use everything they have to survive. With dangers lurking inside and outside of their camp, Grant must decide who he can and cannot trust.

What I liked most about this story was the mystery surrounding everything. I questioned every character’s intentions because I couldn't tell who to trust. Grant was naïve and gullible too many times for my liking, never questioning suspicious acts that may place others in his position on alert. Plus, the abundance of sex scenes was in my opinion, too much. I would have liked to have gotten a more entertaining back story on Zona and its beautiful and frightening creatures.

The mysteries surrounding Zona made me want to know more. The land is just as beautiful as it is dangerous. I wish the author would have given the beauty of Zona a little more detail so I could see it through Grant's eyes. I never got the full visual I wanted.

I gave this book a 3 out of 4-star rating, instead of 4. There were times when the story got slow and I had to push through until it picked up again. This book was also edited fairly well, as I could detect no errors which made reading without stumbling and needing to read parts over were a welcomed plus. I would recommend this book for anyone who is a fan of science fiction that wouldn’t mind an abundance of sex, lies, and alcohol. This book is suitable for mature audiences only.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”