Review by Arite Seki -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Review by Arite Seki -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Arite Seki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Worldlines by Adam Guest is a science fiction novel that postulates the idea of infinite timelines in which different versions of ourselves exist. The timelines in question are based on our current actions and the repercussions thereof. In this novel, the timelines are split into the Blue Line, the Black Line, the Red Line and the Green Line. The main character, Gary Jackson, has a near-death experience where he is almost hit by a truck. This event consequently splits his worldline into one where he survived the incident without harm and one where he is severely injured by the incident.

We begin the novel in the Blue Line. Gary is a physics student who studies alongside his best friend Sinead O’Brien. He has happily been in a long-term relationship with his girlfriend Michelle ever since surviving the near-accident. This worldline version of Gary is charged with committing a crime that the Black Line version of himself perpetrated while in a dream. When Gary in the Black Line is forced to question whether another version of himself may wrongfully face consequences, he tries to find a way to prove his counterpart’s innocence.

What I liked most about the novel was the style of writing. The first-person narrative was informative, especially when alternating between the different worldlines of Gary. I also found it interesting that even in the different worldlines, certain events still happened the same. This brought into question the idea of fate and destiny. There was no aspect of this novel that I disliked as it was a captivating read that kept me invested in the narrative and the science behind it.

I give Worldlines a 4 out of 4 stars rating. The novel is well-edited and shows an organised progression despite switching between different worldlines. I found the concept of alternate worldlines, which our consciousness can drift through in dreams, to be thought-provoking and intriguing. The author brings forth an amiable main character and asks us to notice how his circumstances affect his personality. I found myself asking if who we are is inherently within us or if it is determined by our situation at the time.

I would recommend this book to those interested in scientific theories such as alternative timelines. The novel also features a false conviction, which would be appealing to individuals who have an interest in novels with an aspect of crime. There is the usage of explicit language and references to sexual acts, and so I would not recommend this novel to younger readers. I do believe that even those unfamiliar with scientific theories would enjoy Worldlines as it has elements of romance and nail-biting suspense.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

Thank you for your review. I would also recommend it to those who love science fiction being mixed with realism. If you exclude the timelines thing, a large part of the book could stand alone as romance.
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

This was a really interesting book to read. Thanks for sharing your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”