Review by Essyshiroh96 -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Essyshiroh96
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyshiroh96.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Essyshiroh96 -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Essyshiroh96 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Masters and Bastards is a wonderful book by Christopher J. Penington. Life on Earth ceased to exist a long time ago. However, a new human race is revived on a planet known as Poltervaut. The story talks about the fate of human beings on this planet. Racism is a great problem in Poltervaut. Two races coexist here: Iberians and Arpathians. Iberians are of the higher caste and referred to as masters. On the other hand, Arpathians are of the lower caste and referred to as bastards.

We meet the protagonist, Andreas Marset, a soldier in the Iberian army. He is unaware of anything to do with his biological parents. He only knows that he is an Arpathian who was brought up by an Iberian army constable. He has some psionipath powers that make him special. However, he is yet to discover what he is capable of doing with his powers. One day, the Emperor summons him to the Imperium for questioning. He later discovers that the Emperor intends to mate him to his bastard daughter. Afterwards, Andreas goes back to the army and continues with his duties. He progressively gets promoted as he continues to discover more about his psionipath powers.

I loved this book from the very beginning. The author described the scenes and proceeding events remarkably. The clear view of everything made me feel as if I was witnessing every unfolding event. The author also did an incredible job at character development. Each character had unique traits and a crucial impact on the story. I was keen to discover the destiny of each one of them.

I found the suspense and action in this book fascinating. Being a lover of suspense and action, my attention was fully captured by the book. The plot of this book was appealing and the presence of humor made it even more enjoyable. The vocabulary applied was easy to read and absorb. I had a memorable experience while reading the story.

The only negative thing I found was the use of vulgar language. It might be offensive to some people. I loved everything else about Masters and Bastards. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was well-edited, hilarious, thrilling, and full of adventure. I would like to recommend this book to anyone who likes science fiction/fantasy novels. However, this book is not suitable for young children due to the presence of vulgar language and erotic scenes.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Post by daphne_asir »

Looks like you really enjoyed this book. I'll give this a read. Nice review!
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”