Official Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is about a fictional adventure that will make you want to keep reading to find out more. Grant Taylor, a university professor from Elmhurst near Chicago, goes to Saint Petersburg, Russia, as he is an heir to his Uncle Randall’s home. Uncle Randall is missing from the last expedition into an unknown and forbidden zone near Siberia and declared dead. Grant finds his uncle’s journals and treasures hidden in his uncle’s house. There is an air of mystery and intrigue of this land called Zona. Events lead to another expedition that Grant goes on to hopefully find his uncle. The expedition team consists of Grant, Irina, a botanist, a zoologist, scientists, and security guards, all led by Colonel Volkov. Volkov was the only person to escape from the last expedition alive.

The book began by introducing some background and characters in Russia, laying a foundation for the rest of the book. Even though it was very interesting, I found myself wanting to get to the part of the expedition more quickly. Danger, suspense, romance, and mystery were all presented and played out at the beginning of the story. I liked how some names of Russian food, a few famous places, and a few Russian words were naturally included while Grant was in Saint Petersburg.

Most of the story was about the expedition to Zona. The convoy included eight big tractors pulling sleds, equipped with heavy machine guns and artillery. The team encountered a lot of problems along the way and struggled to survive. Many people died from wild animal attacks and complications. Some of the animals were extremely large and vicious.

I liked the descriptions of the land and animals of Zona. I really enjoyed reading the book, not only because of the content but also because it was so well-written. It was like going on the expedition safely with the team and not actually being in any danger. I enjoyed reading how the expedition team had to work together and how they set up camp. I especially liked the part towards the end about Grant’s special ability with the wolves and how the survivors started thriving on the land. I really wanted to know if Grant would find his uncle dead or alive. You will have to read the book to find out the answer!

I did not like how the team members drank a lot of alcohol, which caused other problems for the expedition. The team’s problems made me not want to actually be on the expedition, besides battling the cold weather and the extraordinary ferocious animals. I least liked that Grant was in a sexual relationship with Irina, who he was not sure he could even trust, and he also slept with several women.

The book was edited very well, as I did not notice any errors. The expedition to Zona made me feel like I was there with the scientists observing the plant and animal life. At times, I even felt afraid and uncomfortable about the weather and the animal attacks. The book leaves the reader wanting to know more and hoping for a sequel. I rate Zona: The Forbidden Land 4 out of 4 stars. If you like to read about scientific expeditions into unknown lands, this book is for you. Due to sexual activity and many deaths, this book is not intended for children to read.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! This book seems very adventurous. Given the conditions you've described I'm not sure I'd also want to be on such an expedition. I can't wait to read this.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is the kind of adventurous story that seemed outdated, but it seems well developed, so I'm intrigued about it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
ANVO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by ANVO »

Haha, books that take drag on before it reaches the exciting parts can be quite exasperating. One minute you’re on the edge of your seat, the next, you’re bidding your time to be on the edge of your seat again! This book, from your review, seems like one of those. Thanks for the great review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Many deaths? Thanks for the warning. I’ve just started reading this book. It’s different from what I would ordinarily pick, but it sounds like it’s going to be an interesting adventure. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I had goosebumps when reading your review, I wonder how it will be like when reading the book. Your review is beautifully written.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I really enjoy reading about expeditions like that, there are all kinds of unexpected dangers and mysteries. It seems to have a lot of suspense too, something I'm always looking for. Great review!
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Just by the title, I was thinking that this was going to be a fantasy of some kind, but I love the Russia tie-in. It sounds like the story is very multi-layered and has all the makings of a great book, and it seems like it’s one of those books that you end up learning a lot without quite realizing that you are learning. Personally, I am more than content with just reading about their grand adventures; I have zero desire to walk in their shoes! Great review.
manalchila
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by manalchila »

I enjoyed this book very much, writing is very good, and this impressed me. I went to a completely different world and felt safe and secure. I liked Grant, his ability, and his dealings with wolves. I really wanted to know whether Grant would find his uncle dead or alive. I didn't like Grant and his relationships with women. In the end, the book is very good and much fun.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Mystery, adventure, danger, suspense and romance, you say? Sounds like my kind of book!
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Sounds like an interesting read, too bad there's the sexual content! I'll pass on this one, but thanks for the review!
-Thea M. Frederick
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I am currently reading and enjoying this book. I feel the same way you do about Grant and Irina. I don't like her and wish that Grant would realize that she is not right for him.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

This is a very thorough and honest review. I don't think I would like Grant either. I don't know if I would want to go on an expedition in such frigid and unforgiving elements. Great job.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Your review flowed smoothly. Sounds like a well-developed adventurous novel but due to alcohol consumption and violence, I will have to let it pass.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

The adventure and Grant’s interactions with wolves sounds awesome. I’m a fan of wolves in adventure novels! I’m not a fan of the drinking or sex, since it doesn’t seem to add value to the story, but I appreciate your warning. This sound like it’s going to be a decent book for botm. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”