Review by Zee_Zee -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review by Zee_Zee -- The Hand Bringer

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a world where the present meets history, light combats darkness, and alteration of history is of utmost importance, time travel comes to play. This is what is seen in The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington.

This blend of sci-fi and fantasy, tells an adventurous tale of Peter Hadrian, a U.S. police officer, born to a Romanian mother. When his wife's body and a bloodstained Halloween costume belonging to his son is discovered, Peter is determined to find out his son's whereabouts and possibly uncover what transpired. More so, Peter is attacked, bitten, and knocked unconscious during an operation, even after getting rid of his attacker. This lands Peter in the hands of the Apocalypse Suppression Administration (ASA) — an organization seemingly working on a project to alter history to rid the world of vampires. When Dr. Kolemis, a scientist at the organization, saves Peter's life, the need to make this project a success dawns on Peter. With him being a survivor with Romanian descent and a unique bloodline, he is ultimately chosen. Left with no options and believing this would lead to discovering his son, Peter agrees to embark on a time travel assignment to find Vlad Dracula. His task is to take Dracula down and subsequently rid the world of vampires. Would Peter find his son? Is Vlad Dracula all he has to tackle? Or is there more than meets the eye?

In this adventurous book, The Hand Bringer, Penington tells a story of deceit, love, ambition, and destiny fulfillment. He takes the reader through a transition of events as every level reveals something new. The story consists of 62 chapters. Each chapter has a title that gives the reader an idea of what to expect. In all honesty, this 387-page book is a joy to read. Albeit, I feel certain events are draggy and might make the reader anxious to move on to another.

There were many things I loved about the book — from the fantastic storyline to the author's writing style. There was a switch of times and hence, a change in the English language used. As we know, language is dynamic and changes with time. Nothing in this story seemed out of place, even with its twists. There was a captivating love story between Peter and Boriana and a funny love-hate relationship between Luke and Bat. Of all the things I loved, it was the interpretation of Romanian words like "Seenji" which means blood, that got me excited the most. In addition to this, new words were added to my vocabulary, and I learned the Romanian translation for Peter is Petru.

I found some heavy profanity that would make this book not suitable for adolescents. There were also gory scenes, and I could barely make out erotic scenes. The book was professionally edited, as there were no typographical or grammatical errors. Therefore, I'd rate it 4 out of 4 stars. This book is highly recommended to a mature audience who loves adventure, sci-fi, and vampire stories.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I also read this book a while ago and I also gave it 4 stars. Thank you for the review!
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 23:27 I also read this book a while ago and I also gave it 4 stars. Thank you for the review!
it's my pleasure. I'm sure you loved it as much as I did. Thanks for your comment.
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

It was just so amazing how one little vampire bite changed Peter's whole entire life. When the vampire that bit Peter said the words "The Hand Bringer", referring to Peter, my first thought was, "What exactly does that mean and how is Peter involved?" My curiosity increased after every page. My favorite element about this book was the imagery. The author's vivid descriptions were memorizing. It does not seem like it at first, but faith in God is a significant aspect in this story. It is very important to pay attention to every detail in this fast-paced, action-packed novel. Unfortunately, there were too many profane words for my taste, so I rated the book a 3 out of 4 stars, but I would recommend the reading to sci-fi lovers. There were also so many graphic details of death that were too disturbing for me, but the actions were fitted for the plot. I really enjoyed reading your review. Who was your favorite character(s), and why?
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

Brianna_MC_griffin97 wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 15:10 It was just so amazing how one little vampire bite changed Peter's whole entire life. When the vampire that bit Peter said the words "The Hand Bringer", referring to Peter, my first thought was, "What exactly does that mean and how is Peter involved?" My curiosity increased after every page. My favorite element about this book was the imagery. The author's vivid descriptions were memorizing. It does not seem like it at first, but faith in God is a significant aspect in this story. It is very important to pay attention to every detail in this fast-paced, action-packed novel. Unfortunately, there were too many profane words for my taste, so I rated the book a 3 out of 4 stars, but I would recommend the reading to sci-fi lovers. There were also so many graphic details of death that were too disturbing for me, but the actions were fitted for the plot. I really enjoyed reading your review. Who was your favorite character(s), and why?
I liked Bat, everything about him is what I didn't see coming. There was a bit of mystery surrounding him at first though.
He was a smart man and the last man standing besides Peter.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”