Review by Leen282 -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have recently read and enjoyed another book written by Christopher J. Penington, The Hand Bringer, and I was very much looking forward to reading this one, Masters and Bastards. I can already say that I was not disappointed at all.

The book takes us to a new civilization in a different solar system after the extinction of life on earth. Different nations are at war at the same time. The humans of Iberia and Scythia fight against each other, while both live under the threat of the alien Vulgari attacking their planets.

Andreas Marset is a young soldier in the Iberian army. As an Arpathian, he belongs to the lower caste and should not mingle with nobles and politicians. One day he gets summoned into the palace for some obscure reason, leaving him anxious to understand what is going on. Several weeks later, he again has to go to the palace under a false pretext, and this time he cannot leave. He understands that he is a pawn in a political game and is expected to have a child with the Emperor's bastard daughter. After the deed is done, he leaves the palace and goes with his military division to fight the Scythians. Andreas knows since he was little that he has telepathic powers. His powers grow during combat, and he surprises everyone, including himself, with what he can do. His military successes lead to several rapid promotions. Before long, he is heading the defense against the Vulgari and coming to terms with his new title of Emperator, father of the underage Emperor.

I rate this book three out of four stars. I like the author's approach of keeping the multiple storylines separate. They happen one after the other in chronological order, making it easy for the reader to get familiar with the terminology used regarding the unique powers of Andreas and other protagonists, the locations, and names of the main characters before introducing new elements. The book has a good pace, adding new features and plot twists when not expected. In the final chapters, the references from earlier in the book all make sense. The epilogue brings a nice finishing touch.

As with the previous book I read, I appreciate the humor and witty conversations Christopher Penington adds. I also like that the main characters are humans and, therefore, very relatable even with their sets of special powers.

Unfortunately, there were multiple editing errors in this book. I noticed quite a lot of typos and, therefore, cannot give the full four stars out of four. The book contains some profanity and description of adult activities so that I would recommend this book for mature readers.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by J_odoyo »

I also read and reviewed this book. I love the storytelling skills of Christopher Penington. I've also read "The Hand Bringer", and I'm fully impressed with his writing style. I like your review: it's very skillfully written. Good job!
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

J_odoyo wrote: 25 May 2020, 01:41 I also read and reviewed this book. I love the storytelling skills of Christopher Penington. I've also read "The Hand Bringer", and I'm fully impressed with his writing style. I like your review: it's very skillfully written. Good job!
Thanks, always nice to meet another fan of this author.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Like I said in the previous review of this book that I saw, it's a must read. The author does a great job with character development which I cherish. Great review.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Adanna Inya wrote: 25 May 2020, 02:48 Like I said in the previous review of this book that I saw, it's a must read. The author does a great job with character development which I cherish. Great review.
Thanks, I really enjoyed reading the book and will definitely read more from this author.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a fascinating book. It's too bad about the errors. Hopefully, the author will get those fixed soon. Great review!
Latest Review: Perfect by Judi Miller
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Prisallen wrote: 27 May 2020, 11:16 This sounds like a fascinating book. It's too bad about the errors. Hopefully, the author will get those fixed soon. Great review!
Thanks for stopping by. I also hope the errors will be fixed next editing round.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I also love multiple storylines in a book and it seems like the author kept things extremely clear, that's awesome. Good review!
Spencer Mack
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

spencermack wrote: 27 May 2020, 12:02 I also love multiple storylines in a book and it seems like the author kept things extremely clear, that's awesome. Good review!
Then I can definitely recommend this book to you ☺️.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Penington's use of humour provide perfect breaks from the monotony of narration, in as much as it lively engages the reader.
Great review!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 29 May 2020, 05:14 Penington's use of humour provide perfect breaks from the monotony of narration, in as much as it lively engages the reader.
Great review!
Thanks! I love books with humor.
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

I enjoyed reading your review. Unfortunately, I wouldn't like it because of the typos you mentioned
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Marshal mutai wrote: 30 May 2020, 08:16 I enjoyed reading your review. Unfortunately, I wouldn't like it because of the typos you mentioned
I hope the author will have the opportunity to correct those errors, the book then certainly deserves 4 stars.
Savannah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannah-m.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Savannah M »

Thanks for the review! I recently finished his other work, The Hand Bringer, and I really noticed the humor throughout my reading. Though the book still have to be edited. Wish the author would get to it. Anyways, I love his book. Hopefully I get to read this book soon.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Savannah M wrote: 30 May 2020, 09:34 Thanks for the review! I recently finished his other work, The Hand Bringer, and I really noticed the humor throughout my reading. Though the book still have to be edited. Wish the author would get to it. Anyways, I love his book. Hopefully I get to read this book soon.
Happy reading when you get to this book. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”