Review by J_odoyo -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Review by J_odoyo -- Masters and Bastards

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Christopher J. Penington's Masters and Bastards is a wonderfully crafted science fiction, blending both fantasy and intergalactic travel. The story begins several centuries after a cataclysmic impact had destroyed the “old world”, Earth, and the remaining human race had fled to a different planetary system. On the planet of Poltervaut, Arpathia—a formerly autonomous nation—has been dominated by the Iberians, who have established the Iberian aristocracy on the planet. There are three races in Poltervaut: Arpathians, Praetorians, and Iberians. Arpathians command the lowest honor—they had been denied the right to vote, limited by racial miscegenation laws, and could not lead in the Iberian military.

Andreas Marset—an orphan and bastard Arpathian, serving as an infantryman in the Iberian army—is one of the few people possessing extraordinary telepathic abilities. He had scored off the charts of the telepathic battery during his mentorship, and the Queen, out of fear, wanted him dead. The Emperor and his concubine, Silla, have organized a conspiracy to have him sire an heir, due to his outstanding intelligence and telepathic abilities. He is summoned to the palace, where he meets their bastard daughter, Isabella, who also had extraordinary ability to change her face. Their plan worked perfectly. Marset is later sent, together with other soldiers, to Rubicon System—a system with two Earth-like planets and two suns. There is a fierce war in this system as the Iberian aristocracy wants to take control of the Scythian colony in the Rubicon system. Meanwhile, there are rumors that these planets would be invaded by aliens called Vulgari. On the other hand, Isabella has also given birth to twins, one of whom the Emperor has named to be his heir. Will Marset marry Isabella? Will his telepathic abilities save humans from aliens’ invasion?

Christopher J. Penington is a gifted storyteller with a refreshing and positive writing style. He has a talent for creating new worlds, so real and dynamic, with familiar characters—many of which you will quickly care about. In his book, he hit upon the perfect formula that kept me engrossed in the story. The characters in this book are well developed and relatable. His narration is engaging and smart as his writing style; just when readers think they have known everything about Marset, he comes up with new surprising telepathic discoveries about Marset. While reading this book, one encounters themes like politics, wars, racism, heirship, and miscegenation.

The author has created a relatable protagonist in Marset, whose inferior racial background doesn’t affect his belief in his ability. Godfrey Holst became my most-liked character; he was so friendly and caring. Holst risked being shot by Lieutenant Vincenti for holding up their train to save Marset's life, in an event when they were attacked by baracoons—ravenous reptilian beasts in the Borian Jungle. Commander Max Leonus became my least-liked character: he was insolent and impenitent.

My favorite section of this book was when Marset’s outstanding intelligence, ability, and success in active combat made him be promoted continuously from a mere infantryman to a position of a captain of their platoon. Sincerely, there was nothing I disliked about this book. The writing style was superb and well peppered with compelling events throughout. All the actions were skilfully described, the conversations were refreshing, and the futuristic worlds were smartly described and believable; however, developing a good romance in a story is not his forte. Potential readers should know that this book involves profanity and erotic content; therefore, I’ll not recommend it to young teenagers.

The editing of this book was impeccably done: I did not find any error. I can confidently rate Masters and Bastards a solid 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to all lovers of science fiction. The book's exceptional editing and its intriguing storyline could deserve nothing less. If you read strictly for the romantic scenes, then this one might disappoint you. However, if you enjoy a solid story that will change how you view the universe, you might enjoy it just as I did.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
mbiku254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbiku254.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by mbiku254 »

Nice review! It really motivated me toward reading the book.
Pstodumeje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pstodumeje.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Pstodumeje »

I like this book because the characters are well developed. The author explains the characters vividly. I like Godfrey's role in the book. His personality was good. It's an enjoyable review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I am going to copy your own words since they so nicely reflect my own opinion, very well said:

'Christopher J. Penington is a gifted storyteller with a refreshing and positive writing style.'
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

:roll2:
mbiku254 wrote: 25 May 2020, 01:37 Nice review! It really motivated me toward reading the book.
Thanks mbiku254.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Pstodumeje wrote: 25 May 2020, 01:48 I like this book because the characters are well developed. The author explains the characters vividly. I like Godfrey's role in the book. His personality was good. It's an enjoyable review.
Indeed the characters are well developed and interestingly engaging. Thanks for your kind comment.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Leen282 wrote: 25 May 2020, 01:57 I am going to copy your own words since they so nicely reflect my own opinion, very well said:

'Christopher J. Penington is a gifted storyteller with a refreshing and positive writing style.'
Thanks Leen282 for your kind comment.
– Toni Morrison
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I just finished reading a book by Penington and it was superb. I love the way he develops his characters and I can see the same come to play here. For a genre where most readers could get confused, he does a fantastic job of simplifying his story without subtracting from the thrill. I'll read this. Beautiful review.
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Adanna Inya wrote: 25 May 2020, 02:45 I just finished reading a book by Penington and it was superb. I love the way he develops his characters and I can see the same come to play here. For a genre where most readers could get confused, he does a fantastic job of simplifying his story without subtracting from the thrill. I'll read this. Beautiful review.
Thanks for your encouraging comment
– Toni Morrison
Chika T C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-t-c.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by Chika T C »

Your description of the author is correct. I've read his books, they are really engaging and realistic. Thanks.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I have just completed this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was awesome. Great review. I'm glad that you don't have any problem with the cover.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

I've read another book by Pennington and he writes so well. I'd like to take a look at this one. Great review!
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 26 May 2020, 04:36 I have just completed this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was awesome. Great review. I'm glad that you don't have any problem with the cover.
Thanks for your kind comment.
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo

Post by J_odoyo »

JM Reviews wrote: 27 May 2020, 02:17 I've read another book by Pennington and he writes so well. I'd like to take a look at this one. Great review!
Thanks for your comment.
– Toni Morrison
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

And I thought that commander Leonus is someone whose love and appreciation are hard to endure :) Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”