Review by Aisha_123 -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Review by Aisha_123 -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Aisha_123 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gripping, humor-filled, action-packed, and entertaining, Penington brings science fiction and fantasy to a whole new level with Masters and Bastards. This intriguing tale is one of which in the world of Poltervaut, a solar system far away from Earth, Iberia and Scythia are the last of the human nations. With the ongoing war amongst themselves, they are forced to come together to withstand an invasion by an alien force, the Vulgari, who wants to enslave the entire human race. Entangled in this battle is Andreas Marset, a young Arpathian soldier in the Iberian Army. He learns vaguely about his true identity and his purpose in the wars to come from the Emperor’s daughter, Isabella Caravingian after a visit to the Imperium. Thus, he began a journey of self-discovery interwoven within a love triangle while facing betrayal from his trusted comrades and love interests in the incoming war with the Vulgari.

This is not my first book from this author, and I must say that Penington is very seasoned in his works. This book is like a roller coaster ride which drives a plethora of positive emotions within your body. Though it was written in 3rd person narrative, I could see the world through Andreas’s eyes. I found that very thrilling. I also observed the plot to be very intense and engaging. I could not put it down until the very last page.

Asides from the engaging plot, I found to my satisfaction, the development of each character. Each character fulfilled their purpose and it brought out the beauty of the book. The character, Andreas exhibited a high level of brilliance and courage while dealing with the events that unfolded. Being a psionipath was a very demanding task but that did not stop his commitment. Overall, I liked his character and the role he played in the wars. Isabella Caravingian showed a flair for the dramatic. Especially when conversing with Andreas, she kept him puzzled but led with an attraction that he could not resist. This was amusing to read.

Another interesting character was Emperor Constantine. Constantine showed a huge amount of vulgarity which made his character realistic and extremely humorous. He displayed a type of charisma that is usually not expected from Emperors. Though he was a static character, he was my favorite among all. I enjoyed and anticipated reading his appearances.

I cannot think of anything I disliked about this book. Although, I felt more light was needed to be shed on what became of the Vulgari. This, however, does not alter my stance or affect my rating. Though there were two instances of grammatical errors, I found the book professionally proof-read. There was a great use of profanity and a few sexual scenes. Sci-fi and fantasy adult readers might find the story a great and intriguing read. Adult readers who do not have an interest in fantasy may pass on this.

Without further ado, I rate Masters and Bastards a 4 out of 4 stars.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jaroks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaroks.html
Latest Review: Followers of Lightning by Charles Bentley

Post by Jaroks »

A fantastic review there with a great use of expressions. I love to see it!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

Jaroks wrote: 21 May 2020, 08:25 A fantastic review there with a great use of expressions. I love to see it!
Thank you! :tiphat:
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I guess, like me, you're also looking forward to reading more of this author.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

Its interesting that Emperor Constantine was your favourite, because I found myself paying little mind to him. I quite liked Andreas' second love interest (her name evades me), but thinking back, Emperor Constantine was indeed a very favourable character.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

Leen282 wrote: 31 May 2020, 00:37 I guess, like me, you're also looking forward to reading more of this author.
Yes, I am.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

Teddyquam wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 12:18 Its interesting that Emperor Constantine was your favourite, because I found myself paying little mind to him. I quite liked Andreas' second love interest (her name evades me), but thinking back, Emperor Constantine was indeed a very favourable character.
It was like he moved in the shadows and still found a way to shine. Her name was Hannah.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I love your summary of the book. It's clear and precise. I too enjoyed reading the book and I kinda liked Andreas parts in the story, it seasoned the the narative. Great job in your review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

Nerea wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 08:54 I love your summary of the book. It's clear and precise. I too enjoyed reading the book and I kinda liked Andreas parts in the story, it seasoned the the narative. Great job in your review. Kudos.
His story was really interesting to read. Thank you!
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

It was a delight to read this book. I too loved seeing things through Andreas' eyes. Nice review!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:

Post by Aisha_123 »

Nehal Mitna wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 08:38 It was a delight to read this book. I too loved seeing things through Andreas' eyes. Nice review!
Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”