Review by plnjimenez -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plnjimenez.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by plnjimenez -- The Hand Bringer

Post by plnjimenez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the modern-day world, a man with a horrid past is faced with concepts beyond belief. Together with his close friend, they were brought to a top-secret facility to be transformed into human weapons. Confused, they embark to a different time to seek answers. Through this voyage, the complexities of the present were given clear meaning. However, they must first endure the physical and spiritual challenges set forth before them.

The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington brings the reader through an exquisite experience. The book introduces us to varying personalities and expeditions. It makes the reader feel as if they are in the actual journey together with the characters, resulting to a feeling of attachment towards them. You could empathize with the complex emotions felt by and between the characters. You could feel their pain when they suffer and their joy when they succeed. However, despite the grave seriousness of the situations the characters find themselves in, the author is able to inject good humor which adds to the book’s appeal. The ability of the plot to let the reader feel engrossed in the book is what I liked the most.

Towards the end of The Hand Bringer, the conclusion felt somewhat rushed which I liked the least. I was expecting more events to unfold. The characters went through a lot and I was hoping that the plot would also dwell a bit longer on the resolution. This is not to say that it was not properly concluded. The ending was clear-cut but personally, I wished the characters still had more stories to tell. Perhaps this is the result of the aforementioned attachment.

I rate The Hand Bringer 4 out of 4 stars. The narration was intelligently structured and the characters’ emotions and inner conflicts were admirably conveyed. The Hand Bringer was fast-paced, engaging and the conversations were witty. It allows the reader to travel through different phases of time and to go through new experiences. The progression between the characters was also entertaining to witness.

I would recommend The Hand Bringer to readers who enjoy action-packed scenes, as is the case for the most part of this book. Majority of the plot is set in the medieval times where war against the living and the dead is prevalent. On the other hand, I would not recommend this book to readers who prefer modern-day setting and more realistic scenarios.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I liked Peter’s character. The stories about vampires and time travel were good too. Nice review!
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

The Hand Bringer has an interesting plot, when I read I also felt like the ending was a bit rushed. I wished to learn more about the characters too. Thanks for the great review!
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:

Post by plnjimenez »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 11:22 I liked Peter’s character. The stories about vampires and time travel were good too. Nice review!
I did not expect how vampires were incorporated in time travel. It was one of the things I particularly enjoyed, as it is not your usual vampire plot.
plnjimenez
Currently Reading:

Post by plnjimenez »

gabrielletiemi wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 11:25 The Hand Bringer has an interesting plot, when I read I also felt like the ending was a bit rushed. I wished to learn more about the characters too. Thanks for the great review!
Indeed. Each of the characters had distinct personalities and it would have been interesting to see more of their development.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”