Official Review: SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Lily Fairchild by Don Gutteridge

Official Review: SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2" by E. R. Barr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skellig: The Tales of Conor Archer, Volume 2 is an imaginative fantasy novel written by E.R. Barr. Conor Archer, a teenager who lives in Chicago, descends from an ancient Irish shapeshifting species called the Roan. They are seals (selkies) in the ocean and dark-eyed people (with webbed hands) on land. Conor is originally from Tinker’s Grove, Wisconsin, a town founded by Irish Tinkers, a version of gypsies. He has the power of connecting light and dark, and he travels between reality and the mystical world. To better deal with this predicament, Conor travels to Ireland, where he faces powerful enemies.

The fantasy elements and the coming-of-age plot go together well in this inventive novel. Conor grows as he gets schooled in the Celtic arts; his powers find a home, and he becomes a worthy foe to the evil forces he has to overcome. Additionally, there are illustrations in the book, which I appreciated. For instance, there’s a sketch of the Archangel Michael, the Ranger of the Heavens, trident in hand, on his winged horse, Brian.

What I most enjoyed about the book was how the author explored ancient Celtic mythology, traditions, and beliefs. There are druids, bards, treasures, and amulets, among other things. I particularly enjoyed Amergin, Bard of the West, Walker of Worlds, who finds “heroes of the Light to stop the evils of the Dark.” There are many folk songs throughout the novel, and the music “holds the land together.”

The novel has a well-woven plot, and the characters and their magical traits are well-developed. I was pleasantly surprised by Hercules Columba Roddy (aka Colly), a changeling and a shapeshifter who could turn himself into a werewolf. Conor’s dog, named Troubles, is also delightfully magical. There are also amusing links to the real world. For instance, when Michael lights the atmosphere on fire, NATO picks up the disturbance and scrambles jets to check it out, but their engines die as if an EMP blast had occurred.

In closing, the book has instances of non-borderline profanity; I thought this was unnecessary and narrowed its potential audience. This aspect was what I disliked the most about the novel. I wish the author would have refrained from using the f word. Also, this version of the book needs an additional round of editing, for it has mishaps. Thus, due to these negative aspects, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. If you enjoy fantasy novels, you should take a look at it. I believe it will also appeal to readers who appreciate Irish folklore.

SKELLIG: The Tales Of Conor Archer, vol. 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by geebeex »

This is such a lovely review and has really made me want to read the novel. The magic and history sounds so interesting!

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

"Dark-eyed people (with webbed hands)".This description really commands imagination, it felt like it was real, I commend the author for this. It sounds like an interesting fantasy novel. Great review.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Liege-Killer
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Post by NetMassimo »

Possibly I'm old for this kind of story, but the author seems to have constructed it to be read by grown-ups, including profanities. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

This book sounds fetish and I'm not a fan of this kind of fantasy. Off I went to my preferred genre. Thanks for the great review.

Frances019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frances019.html
Latest Review: Den Came Crack by Semaj

Post by Frances019 »

I'm generally not a fan of fantasy where the powers seem too complex or otherworldly. Good review though.

SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by SunVixen »

Splendour0606 wrote:
13 May 2020, 15:51
"Dark-eyed people (with webbed hands)".This description really commands imagination, it felt like it was real, I commend the author for this. It sounds like an interesting fantasy novel. Great review.
Such hands should be very strange. Anyway, thank you for great review.

UzmaKhan
2019 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading: Randy the Irresistible
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Though this seems to be a worthy read I am forced to think whether this book can be read singly.🌸

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”