Review by Sharon2056 -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Review by Sharon2056 -- The Hand Bringer

Post by Sharon2056 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Pennington is a captivating and thrilling mix of science fiction and historical fiction novel, that highlights aspects of vampirism in the Middle Ages and the present time. The main character is tasked with a great responsibility to deal with vampires in the medieval time before they reach the present century.

The book begins with Peter, the protagonist, having lost his son, Stephen, and wife mysteriously. While still mourning the loss of his family, he receives a call to help out at a murder scene where a police officer had been murdered. There, he encounters a mysterious man who seems to be extremely powerful in strength as he out powers him while they fought, and ends up biting him and infecting him with a vampire infection. While being taken to be treated of the infection; another governmental body takes Peter’s infected body together with his friend Luke to their secretive military facility, where they research on vampires, and here's where Peter's life changes.

Luke and Peter are told about the existence of vampires, and how Peter is going to be instrumental in helping to destroy vampires in the Middle Ages so that they can die in their time, so as not to destroy the world in the upcoming centuries. Although Peter is Cynical initially, he agrees in exchange to save his son Stephen. The main target that Peter is meant to destroy is Prince Vlad Tepes, the Prince of Wallachia infamously known as Dracula. In fifteen century, Peter encounters Boriana a beautiful enchanting woman, a vampire, whom he recognizes from the secretive military facility and unknowingly falls in love with her. Although the main purpose of the time travel in the fifteenth century seems straightforward, fulfilling their mission becomes complicated due to various obstacles encountered, as well as the large number of aspects that are needed fully accomplished the mission.

Pennington is an adept storyteller as he meticulously weaves the incidents in both the present and medieval time seamlessly, thus allowing one to follow through the time travel incidences perfectly well. Additionally, the author sprinkles suspense throughout the novel thus making it intriguing and captivating. This, as a result, makes the book a page-turner, one that I couldn't put down. Also, the points of view of various characters are highlighted thus making the book multidimensional and not based on the view of only the protagonist.

The author presents intriguing aspects of the characters. Although vampires are more of a science fiction aspect, he makes it seem real. The love between Peter and Boriana in this crucial mission shows love endures all even if the people are of different worlds. Loyalty to friendship, religion, and belief to mystical powers are all highlighted. Kolemis as the Trojan horse shows that even in a group bound by a sacred mission, betrayers are bound to be there and we should all be wary of such betrayers.

The book was well edited as I did encounter extremely few grammatical errors. However, I must note that the book has a wide cast of characters based on the fact that it’s a science fiction novel. Additionally, there are mature scenes of romance and the constant use of foul language throughout the book. Besides that, I find the book interesting and enjoyable. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend the book to readers who enjoy vampire stories, supernatural stories, science fiction novels, historical fiction, and anyone in need of a captivating and interesting read. However, I do not recommend it to young adults as there are romance scenes and descriptions of violence.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I liked Peter’s character. The stories about vampires and time travel were good too. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”