Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Containment Breach

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- Containment Breach

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Containment Breach" by Wm. A. Yandell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We could say that a containment breach — by even just a virus, though yet debatable if a “life form” or not — is a serious matter, based upon our experience with the COVID-19 pandemic. Either the Coronavirus had been previously contained in a research facility or on its natural animal host, the jump to humans was an unwanted breach of its containment. This novel, Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell, touches on the story of a genetic creation, an insect-like creature — a full-fledged life form — more sinister than the Coronavirus. While you could battle with the Coronavirus lying down (pun not intended), you have to run from the “Creature” in this novel.

The story was set in the distant future, as the World Alliance government had provided space stations for bioengineers, whereat they could experiment on creating biological life forms without much concern about any containment breach. But they were in for a surprise. The “Creatures” of a missing bioengineer, Demetrius Zayack, broke loose, and then went on a rampage, killing humans, and cutting off access to certain portions of the space station. A science team backed up by the World Alliance Armed Forces, and the Alliance troopers were wiped out. Still worse, some of the "Creatures" were found lodged on a spaceship that had just landed on planet Earth. Incidentally, there was another bioengineer, known to have followed closely along Zayack’s line of research — Dr. Walt Smithton. So, the World Alliance Intelligence operatives had him shanghaied into the space station to remedy the situation. However, an unseen hand seemed to have made Smithton’s task harder by holding up information about the “Creatures” on a network of deception, espionage, subterfuge, and even betrayal that killed some of Smithton’s crew members. Fortunately for Smithton, he has his own biological creation, the “Zayans,” to help him deal with the problem.

I liked that Yandell’s portrayal of the characters was realistic, dealing with each individual’s idiosyncrasies, and highlighting the power struggle inherent within an organization. All too true, people always tend to find time for their own personal agenda, to be in the spotlight, or to get the credit for the result of the group effort. In the higher and lower echelons of the command hierarchy in the military, it is customary for the bickering, and even for the scheming to upstage one another. The competition, however, becomes unhealthy once it hinders the progress of the undertaking, not to mention the fatal side effects.

The story is told in the viewpoint of Smithton, in the first person, as though a journal account — complete with his thoughts and observations. To cover the action not involving Smithton, there is a narrator that is omnipresent in the story. The formatting dispensed with the conventional chapter headings, but this did not affect the clarity of the book. The dialogue itself clarified the location of the segments in the well-assigned settings that were described comprehensibly, in an impressive language and style. There’s not one instance that I ever got lost in the course of the fast-paced developments of the episodes.

Nevertheless, there’s one thing I may grumble about: poor Smithton was just made a “lab rat” — never a “love rat.” He had some near-romance experiences, though, e.g., a promising future liaison with Sally if developed, or that accidental thigh-rubbing with Marcie that hinted of much more upwards, who knows? Sadly, not one of these sparked off to the level of a kiss!

After finishing the novel, a deep, overriding thought struck me. I could not help mulling over how different the psyche of man is compared to that of other forms of life. Insects, for instance, were known to sacrifice themselves for the survival of their species. While a man would sacrifice the lives of members of his species to save himself; it is historically documented how war leaders hatched stratagems of wiping out portions of their army along with the enemy. Whereas a bee would dance for its companions to give directions to the location of a nectar source, a miner who finds a gold vein would hide the location; someone who forms a concept or invention would write in codes, or backward, to obscure the description.

I have no doubt, fans of fantasy and science fiction would delight in this novel. It is well-edited and smooth-flowing. To them, I recommend the novel, Containment Breach. My rating for this delightful read is the maximum allowable: 4 out of 4 stars.

Containment Breach
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

The plot and the story line of the novel is pretty much relevant to today's happenings as the world is grappled with the Corona virus pandemic. More to the point, you have summed up the human nature quite appropriately at the end of the review, no better way to express it than that. Excellent review! :tiphat:
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

DBNJ wrote: 07 May 2020, 01:40 The plot and the story line of the novel is pretty much relevant to today's happenings as the world is grappled with the Corona virus pandemic. More to the point, you have summed up the human nature quite appropriately at the end of the review, no better way to express it than that. Excellent review! :tiphat:
I am glad you have seen it the way that I saw human nature. We could not help it. It has been written in our genes -- man will always be selfish and self-centered. But once in a while in human history, we come across specimens of humanity who are exceptions to the rule. We just hope, we get more of these mutations. Thanks for passing by.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This is a beautiful book. Containment Breach is just the perfect name. There's always a saboteur. Did the bioengineer really go missing? I love it. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”