Review by Folushour -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Foluso Falaye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foluso-falaye.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Folushour -- Masters and Bastards

Post by Foluso Falaye »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Take me away me to Poltervaut because the world has been awfully boring since I became aware of the magical universe that exists in Masters and Bastards. With aliens, dinosaurs, telepathy, and nineteenth-century architecture; the world that Christopher J. Penington has created requires a wild imagination to comprehend. Though, I wouldn't want to be caught in the wars except I have nine lives, like the characters do in their imagined paradise. Who wouldn't want to have endless alcohol and nymphs for the rest of eternity?

Andreas Marset is a seventeen-year-old soldier from a clan of low-born Arpathians, with telepathic abilities that are yet to be fully discovered. He was raised as an orphan and doesn't know a thing about his parents' existence. Trained by one of the best mentors in the empire, Andreas becomes an extraordinary star and a threat to the Iberian clan in power. Ironically, Emperor Constantine plans to mate him with his bastard daughter, Isabella Caravingian, as he intends to have their child as a suitable successor. Andreas later finds himself involved in a war between his home planet of Poltervaut and that of Gideon and Rubicon. While the war rages on, an alien fleet travels towards them with an intention to enslave all of humanity on the three planets. Andreas captures Hannah Comzatava, an enemy soldier, while she captures his sensual emotions. She may be the link to end their war before the aliens arrive. Andreas seeks to find peace in a world where different parties plot to both kill him and crown him, while he's bestowed with an ability he hopes to suppress before he goes insane or loses his life as a result of its power.

I was really impressed by the vividness of the depiction of the world in Masters and Bastards. Spaceships were flying around in my head, as I pictured the different scenes. With battles being fought, and war machines being shot, I was on the edge of my seat and held captive from start to finish. I remember a particular night that I didn't want to go to sleep because I had to find out what was going to happen next. This is definitely a page-turner. I came to love the characters with their distinctive and memorable features. Witty lines are in excess. I can't forget this particular one: "The woman produced the sort of laugh that buries peasants under aristocracy." Some lines had me laughing in a rather unaristocratic manner.

The novel could tickle your fancy if you enjoy war books; battles are a major part of the book. There's also something for history enthusiasts, with the nineteenth-century references, and the gods that resemble the Greek's. If magical powers are not your thing, I don't recommend this. Sexual scenes, curse words, violence and religious beliefs are present. Christians, idolaters, and atheists exist in the different clans. There's something for everyone.

Masters and Bastards is a book I did not want to end. If it was a saga, I wouldn't hesitate to read all the parts. My rating for it is 4 out of 4 stars. I disliked nothing about Masters and Bastards. It stole me away from my other hobbies, and it had me wishing that someone had warned me to finish up some tasks before picking it up. Don't make the same mistake.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”