Official Review: Wizard Island by Terry Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Wizard Island by Terry Morris

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wizard Island" by Terry Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a world that includes a family that holds a secret and the ones losing the battle of life to evil. Assuming there is a chosen one that didn’t know his purpose, what will be the hope of the world?

Wizard Island: Child of the Orb by Terry Morris is an exciting and captivating book. It follows the life, growth, and conquest of the one chosen to save the people on the verge of extinction. Will this mission be possible? I guess the end will tell. This book contains two sections with several chapters. The first part introduces Wilton’s appointment in England on Sunday, 8 July 1934. Wilton was an enchanter from Azveron in another galaxy and the protector of the chosen one. He had a pooka that looks like a leprechaun named Titch living in his hat. Also, it introduced the Woolf’s household, which includes Dexter, Charlotte, Casper, and their parents.

The second part dwells on the several missions they embarked on to save their world, like retrieving the lost Orb. Their world, Azveron, was disrupted by an evil force from Jebanon, a third world created. However, a selfless wizard named Valdarin led against the force that enabled Azveron’s survivors to escape to earth. An ambitious sorceress, Astrid, is now on the loose, and she is bent on acquiring power for herself. She is destroying Druids and Magiciaans in the process. The world needs the chosen one.

I love the author's choice of words and descriptions, most of which made me laugh out loud a couple of times. For instance, he used funny metaphors like "The first bell sounded, and the playground emptied faster than a Labrador's food bowl." I had grown to love the three siblings so much that I didn't want anyone dead. However, only the child of the Orb could touch it and not get killed. Who will be the child of the prophecy? To avoid spoilers, you will find out like I did when you read the book.

My favorite character is Aunt May. She was warm and welcoming. She made the best hot chocolates and muffins, she was one of the two enchanters, and she was proud of it. Aunt May was a crucial part of the story as she was of help to Wilton and the Woolf's children (her niece and nephews) regarding what happened in Kellys Wood. Furthermore, I enjoyed the storyline. It reminds me of some of my favorite series, "Legend of the Seeker and Merlin." Also, I admire how the book shows that love and compassion have the power to stop the bullies. I enjoyed Bret's accent, and it was funny how Casper's fart caused so much havoc and became a topic of discussion.

The use of clues and riddles in finding the Orb makes the storyline unpredictable. I couldn’t tell how these naive siblings would retrieve the Orb. It was nice seeing Dexter care about something he once denied its existence. When the battle was all over, I love how Valdarin gave out instructions of the next mission, as his ghost was disappearing. I can’t wait for the next adventure.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. I found it extremely entertaining and hilarious most of the time. The book was relaxing and light-hearted, even in the face of battle. Therefore, I rate Wizard Island: Child of the Orb 4 out of 4 stars. It is well-written as I did not notice any grammatical or punctuation errors. I recommend this book to adults and teenagers that enjoy adventurous novels with elements of magic. Some parts of this book can be a bedtime story for children, but not the Astrid baboons' look like Zhanaka. I am sure they will enjoy hearing about the magical world.

Wizard Island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Machine Crusade
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by NetMassimo »

This fantasy novel seems really engaging and very funny as well with the storyline about the search for the Orb keeping the readers on their toes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

NetMassimo wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 10:20 This fantasy novel seems really engaging and very funny as well with the storyline about the search for the Orb keeping the readers on their toes. Thank you for your great review!
Yes it is. Thank you for stopping by. :tiphat:
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

Sounds like a must-read. Your review made me want to open the book right now! I'll definitely add it to my list.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I'm getting excited just reading the review! :lol2: Having just finished a tragic story, my heart is in need of some laughter.
Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

I love witty writing. This author sounds like they had an idea and just went crazy with it. I bet it was a lot of fun for them to write! I only have one question... what is a pooka?
SMorris_55
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SMorris_55 »

Great review Anthony, I too have read this book and found it was a wonderful read for my grandchildren. It started as a bedtime story, but ended up being the best quiet time story each and every day that I had with them. They all loved a different character, but my favourite was Bert and it just took a little bit of friendship to show him another side of himself. Lessons were learned, a few tears were had and the laughs were aplenty. It was a true joy to read. 🌟🌟🌟🌟
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Great review. Gives me exactly what I need to to know about the book. But it sounds more to me like a children's book, magic and wizards don't appeal to me, so I might give this book a miss.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Imdad khan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Imdad khan »

I am happy to review this book because it contains too much excitement and adventures for the children and young adults as it starts the story and ends. One thing I want to say that Casper's fart scene was too much funny. It's a good book no doubt.

Thanks for the review
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

This seems like an interesting book to read especially for it's humorous content. Thanks for the review!
Anthony__
Currently Reading:

Post by Anthony__ »

SMorris_55 wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 21:17 Great review Anthony, I too have read this book and found it was a wonderful read for my grandchildren. It started as a bedtime story, but ended up being the best quiet time story each and every day that I had with them. They all loved a different character, but my favourite was Bert and it just took a little bit of friendship to show him another side of himself. Lessons were learned, a few tears were had and the laughs were aplenty. It was a true joy to read. 🌟🌟🌟🌟
I love Bert too especially how he talks.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Great review . I enjoy books filled with adventure series and this seems like the perfect one. Thanks for the review.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

nanglada wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 11:46 Sounds like a must-read. Your review made me want to open the book right now! I'll definitely add it to my list.
The cover has enticed me to read this review, it is not my favorite genre but I think this book has a great storyline about the battles that Dexter has to face.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

The rating gave it totally away.
I'm so excited it contains a whole lot of humour.
Thank you for your honest review.
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

I love books that keep the mystery going throughout the entire read until the very end! It keeps the story moving and I'd love to read this book.
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”