Once by Anna Carey (sequel to Eve)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amber Twining
Bookshelf Size: 0

Once by Anna Carey (sequel to Eve)

Post by Amber Twining »

This book starts out with Eve living in an all female haven called Califia, where Caleb, her male companion, had to separate from her at. Eve sees a figure in the distance and she goes to see who it is, it is an old friend from the School. Overhearing the Haven's creators talking about using Eve as a bargaining chip she decides to sneak out with her friend to where they hear Caleb is hiding. When they arrive to the spot they both are taken by the City of Sand's guards. Eve is taken to the castle, the place of which she ran away from in the first place, separated from all she knows. She is taken to the King, who she thought she would have to 'mate' with.

My opinion of the book is that it is well thought out and you can really relate to the characters. You really can feel for them in the way that some books just lack. Anna Carey really allows you to understand the feelings behind Eve and Caleb. You get introduced to more characters living inside the city's walls that don't know much of pain. It's embarrassing, but the book makes you cry. It's a roller coaster of emotion and hard to put down, I was forced to read it in once sit down it was so gripping. Overall I would give it 4.75 out of 5
MythicDrmR
Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mythicdrmr.html

Post by MythicDrmR »

I have read Anna Carey's entire Trilogy about Eve. The story shows an interesting perspective on what could happen in a post apocalyptic world. Eve's father the King recreates, or tries to recreate, the world that existed before the fall. There is a natural rise in culture that comes from the growth of the population, industry, and education. With the loss of so many people, that kind of lifestyle simply isn't possible now. New priorities are necessary such as food, health, shelter, and eventually education that will help people survive and prosper. Making alliances with other groups of survivors would be beneficial as trading between groups would enrich the diet and improve health.

Forcing young women to be breeders and then take those children and adopt them out to other people without the mother's consent is not moral. Forcing boys and young men to work with little compensation and no education offered is not moral either. Both these actions create a poor and unstable base from which to form a society.

These books are rich in detail, showing the goodness and evil that lives inside all of people. Excellent reading for anyone and especially good for young adults who have heard of slavery and the underground railroad, but may not have been able to truly understand what it must have been like. Getting to Califia was difficult and often required assistance. Those who helped often paid the highest price.
"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." ~~Dr. Seuss (I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!)~~
Arhaan Siddiqui
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Arhaan Siddiqui »

I have read Anna Carey's entire Trilogy about Eve. The story shows an interesting perspective on what could happen in a post apocalyptic world. Eve's father the King recreates, or tries to recreate, the world that existed before the fall. There is a natural rise in culture that comes from the growth of the population, industry, and education. With the loss of so many people, that kind of lifestyle simply isn't possible now. New priorities are necessary such as food, health, shelter, and eventually education that will help people survive and prosper. Making alliances with other groups of survivors would be beneficial as trading between groups would enrich the diet and improve health.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The book is really an emotional roller coaster. The characters are faced with some really difficult decisions. Its a well written and inventive dystopian series(my favourite YA subgenre). It reminds me of the handmaidens tale and Wither series by Lauren DeStefano, for obvious reasons. :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”