What is the best vampire book/series you've read lately?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
groundivy
Currently Reading: Kitchen Confidential
Bookshelf Size: 7

Re: What is the best vampire book/series you've read lately?

Post by groundivy »

i havent read any lately. i do love anne rice's "The Vampire Lestat".
if i had to pick a favorite it would be "Pandora" also in that series if that is what you would call it.
groundivy
Currently Reading: Kitchen Confidential
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by groundivy »

i havent read any lately. i do love anne rice's "The Vampire Lestat".
if i had to pick a favorite it would be "Pandora" also in that series if that is what you would call it.

-- 19 Apr 2015, 19:16 --

shotty internet brings me to my next question...how on earth do i delete 89 reposts of the same reply:\
shantyknight
Favorite Author: P. N. Elrod
Currently Reading: The Last American Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by shantyknight »

The Vampire Files by P.N. Elrod. The main character Jack Fleming, an investigative journalist in Prohibition-era Chicago, gets
bitten by a vampire. Thus begins that series. My 'lust' for vampires only started a few years ago so I have a lot of catching up to do. However, in those few short years I have read through about 300 books now, including many whole series. This series stands out because of the writing style (which I like), and the characters (which I love). A good read, definitely!
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Anne Rice is Queen of vampire novelists in my opinion, but there are some intriguing recommendations on this thread that seem worth following up on. In terms of more recent vampire books, I thoroughly enjoyed When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen. It's not a vampire book as such, but the integration of vampires into the fascinating world the author has contructed, and the social and political implications thereof, provide an interesting and original interpretation of the theme. I haven't read the sequel (The House of Sand and Secrets) yet, but I've heard it's even better than the first book.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
Moonridge
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonridge.html

Post by Moonridge »

I've completed the House Of Night series lately. I honestly loved the entire series which I read whenever/where ever I could steal time. It's has an incredibly addictive plot. It has culture too. I love the matriarchy in the vampyre society and the warrior concept. The twist PC And Kristen Cast put on the average view of vampires is compelling. If you can get past the "young" characters and look into the symbolism throughout each book this is the series for you.
Marissa94
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa94.html

Post by Marissa94 »

I resently finished reading the night huntress series by Jeaniene Frost and its towards the top of my favorites list. First of, I love books where the main characters are bad ass (expesually women), and they definitely are here. I really like how they also start out hating each other then falling in love. I loved this book so much that when I started ready my next series I relized I was reading the male character in the same voice and adding poppet lol
Nerdy_Librarian[88]
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdy-librarian-88.html

Post by Nerdy_Librarian[88] »

I am a huge fan of Vampire stories and one of may favorites land within Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld Series call "Bitten" and "Stolen". I am a huge fan of the chemistry between Clay and Elena and I think that Clay is the only fictional character that I wish I could have a love affair with. Elena is also such a strong female lead that also counteracts with Clay's strong protectiveness that it makes for a wonderful story.
the wisdom to see
Currently Reading: Aurora Sky
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-wisdom-to-see.html

Post by the wisdom to see »

Black Dagger Brotherhood is the vamp series that got me hooked and I have read A LOT of them since then. What I loved the most is JR Ward's writing style. Reading her and then moving on to another vamp series was very similar to reading college material and switching to Dr. Suess. Excellent read.
Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark is another great series. You have to stick with it but after the first couple of books, I was hooked. I watch for her new releases in the series and of course Ward's BDB new releases.
Anita Blake is also a good series if you can block out the sex. This is another lengthy series but she keeps it going and it hasn't flittered out yet.
linseaskinner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linseaskinner.html

Post by linseaskinner »

The best vampire series that I have read recently is the Morganville Vampire series. The character development and the plot is fantastic, and though I haven't read the series in a while, I am looking forward to re-reading it.
Percarus
Favorite Author: Ricardo Semler
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Percarus »

Sorry to interject... But the best Vampire related book I read was in fact called 'Vampire the Masquerade', a LIVE role-playing game in fact that entailed participants to act roles of different clans of vampires in venues prepped up with ghastly decoration with each participant trying to achieve his/her own individualized mission - it was art at its purest form, blood capsules, fangs, mock weaponry and all! [URL GRAPHIC LINK OUGHT GO HERE BUT I HAVE NOT MADE TEN POSTS YET :-( ]

'Necromancer' also got my thumbs up towards the end of the series in the Vampire world as it was an unexpected turn of twist in tale and rather emotional as one could observe the transgression in character change of the lead player and one could even feel his emotions (by the end fully transmogrified into a vampire). The reference to 'Shaitan' tried to blend in historical biblical elements into a pseudo fictional spin. And the Jyhad series (especially the card games that led to 'Vampire the masquerade) provided a wealth of knowledge into Vampiric lore. You could not read just any vampire book and claim you know everything about vampires when the best of the best is encapsulated in an absolute agony of amounts of labour hours in research of Vampiric lore, myths, modernism, and common sense as was the case by the creation of RPG's created by Mark Rein-Hagen and released in 1991 by White Wolf Publishing as the first of several copy cats through novels and the film industry.

It is certainly something else playing a live RPG with a group of well spoken, smart, naturally gifted actors. And 'Necromancer' was classic but I can't remember the author when I read it on the 90s; I don't think it was the book created by Gordon R. Dickson as that was too early in 1962. Heck, I think it was a four part series of books too - if someone knows the author let me know (about a kid-guy that can talk to people beyond the grave and later becomes a vampire later on).

Lately I haven't read many Vampire novels but for novelty sakes I cruised the RPG dungeon lair of role-playing games in town for childhood memory sakes as I wanted to buy some counting sparkly beads, and there I saw a plethora of vampire RPG books that would put most novels to shame in terms of creative imagination and originality in ideas for the arcane, vampiric, and even various versions of Necromancers. Sadly, good novels about vampires involve tragic romantic tales (from what I know) and hence does not fit in my agenda of a positive feel good mentality book to be reading.
TJayne89
Currently Reading: The Daylight War
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjayne89.html
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik

Post by TJayne89 »

I really enjoyed reading the True Blood series. When it came out I was thinking, 'Oh great, not another vampire book'. But it had a refreshing story line and an interesting point of view regardless of the usual vampire related cliches.
Latest Review: "The Jester's Club" by D. E. Zlotnik
Kotabear18

Post by Kotabear18 »

My favorite vampire series I've read to date has to be the Vampire Academy series. It was well written, had tons of sarcasm and humor. It also had me in suspense per Rose and Demetri's forbidden love. Overall it was an amazing book series.
Lily_Zeraven
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-zeraven.html
Latest Review: "Hook Up" by Harvey Jones

Post by Lily_Zeraven »

Though it's not quite up to par with the Twilight Saga, the House of Night series offers a great escape into fantasy fiction. The story is filled with excellent imagery and offers a little different perspective of a world with vampires. There is love, hunger, thirst, friendship, and honor in this tale entwined with bloodlust in battles of good versus evil.

A series to read for sure, but do not expect it to live up to Twilight novels... It's just not quite the same. Happy reading vamp enthusiasts!
Latest Review: "Hook Up" by Harvey Jones
LadyDay26

Post by LadyDay26 »

I have read a decent amount of vampire books, the one book that stands out for me is Fledgling by Octavia Butler. This is a much different take on vampires but is more "plausible" than most. It is fascinating, sexy, and insightful. The protagonist is a strong, intelligent young woman/vampire and it's refreshing when compared to female protagonists in some of the more recent vampire books.
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

I love Christine Feehan vampire series. My favorite is "Dark Wolf". I love the earlier JR Ward vampire books. Haven't read them in awhile. I also love Jeaniene Frost vampire series, haven't read them all yet.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”