Official Review: A Dream of Dragons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeDiplomatique
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Remember Radcliffe Lad Know Your Station in Life by Bernard Heys. MCMI.MWIFM.DipBs.

Official Review: A Dream of Dragons

Post by LeDiplomatique »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Dream of Dragons" by Lauretta L. Kehoe and Michael R. Kehoe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dream of Dragons, by Lauretta Kehoe and Michael Kehoe is a story of urban-fantasy genre. It revolves around dragons, romance, true love, religion and sacrifice. It is an easy-to-read book, written from the third-person perspective. However, the third-person perspective occasionally interchanges with a brief first-person perspective to draw attention to an alternate world. The authors’ intention in writing the book is to enlighten others on the existence of other worlds beyond our own. It is written from a Christian perspective, but the authors have blended the mythical dragons into the Christian equation. They have done an excellent job in balancing the act of the book between the world of humans and the world of dragons.

Henry Williford comes across a naked woman while strolling on Venice beach, in Florida. After taking her home, he finds that she has no memory whatsoever. She is naïve and neither knows who she is, nor where she comes from. Henry calls her Anne, like his deceased mother. He has to teach her everything, including how to dress, use the toilet and eat. Amazingly, all animals are drawn to her. In addition, she learns all she is taught very fast and very efficiently. As she watches Henry draw in his studio, she picks a pencil and starts scribbling. Consequently, her drawing comes out looking exactly like Henry’s. The nights are dreary for her due to the constant nightmare about dragons. At one time, she comes across a book with dragons in it. Anne takes the book and holds to it. Things get tough when a black Sedan starts following Henry and Anne. The truth starts unfolding, one truth at a time. The ultimate truth about Anne is very shocking and puzzling. Will true love conquer all?

The dragons in Anne’s dreams are classified by color. The good ones are golden, white-eyed and without fire breathing capability. They are telepathic and telekinetic. On the other hand, the bad ones, who have submitted to an evil master, are black and red-eyed. They have been given the power to breathe fire by the master, but something is taken from them in exchange for the fire-breathing capability. In her dreams, Anne is Aeya, a golden dragon, the daughter of the golden Aesmay, who is the king of dragons. She is a special dragon because she was not hatched from an egg like the rest of the dragons. Her wicked uncle, Saphan, who was once golden, has turned black with red eyes.

The character development of the book is superb. The book features interesting personalities. Just to mention a few, there is Heidi, Henry’s sister, who is as caring as a mother-hen. Additionally, there is Henry, the skeptic, who was once in the Navy. The death of his fiancée, Christine, has destroyed his belief in love, until Anne comes into his life. I tremendously enjoyed the character of Anne. She is a central character in the story, who is not perfect, but she has unique qualities. She is a charmer, who cannot differentiate what should be said and done in public and private. I love how she keeps telling everyone that Henry has a ‘man’ (male anatomy). Her innocence heightens the sexual tension of the book. Anne develops from a vulnerable, naive, innocent girl, who did not even know how to take care of herself. The climax of her growth is awe-inspiring.

I love many aspects of this book. A good example is the idea of a story within a story, which I find incredible. When Henry fails to unveil Anne’s past, he decides to help her to unleash her subconscious mind through story-writing and art. Consequently, this gives birth to another story, ‘Tale of the Princess Dragon’ within the main story. Nonetheless, what I love most is the authors’ creativity in creating their two worlds and how they balanced the two. One side of the border is the live-action, urban world of Florida, with all the goings-on of a modern world. On the other side is an imaginary world with crystal mountains, where the sun is white and the ocean is green; the world of Thraekenya, the dragons.

I do not like anything least because the book is pretty incredible. As a matter of fact, I would not mind a sequel of this book. The authors have provided days and months to track the story. However, an inclusion of years in the dates would be helpful for the reader to determine the era in which the story is based in. All the same, I believe the authors did this deliberately, so as to create a ‘timeless’ effect in the book. An inclusion of black-and-white drawings of, inter alia, the dragons, the crystal mountains, would have heightened the visual aspect of the book.

I recommend this book to lovers of modern fantasy, and those who generally love dragon stories. The book does not contain any profanities. Besides, its sexual aspect is suppressed. The authors have tactfully manipulated the sexual aspect in a way that it can only be imagined by the reader. Nonetheless, it is hard to miss, owing to the Anne’s naivety and Henry’s vulnerability.

I will not rate this book 4 stars due to the errors I came across. All the same, I will not rate it 2 stars due to its fluidity. I find it amazing how the narrations alternate between the two worlds without difficulty. The authors have achieved this mostly by alternating the points of view. The main narration, of the real world, is done from a third-person perspective while the narration of the dragon world is done from the perspective of Aeya (Anne’s dragon form), and is presented in italicized form. I rate A Dream of Dragons 3 out of 4 stars.

A Dream of Dragons
View: on Bookshelves

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

This is a good review! The cover scared me to marrow, but the review got me captivated. I am very curious to know who Anne really is and what becomes of her love life with Henry. This must be an interesting read.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Transmission
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Post by NetMassimo »

Honestly the religious perspective is not my thing, but overall this novel seems well developed, so it could be interesting for urban fantasy lovers. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

RinaC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RinaC »

I really enjoyed this review. I personally would be very interested to read the book. I am curious in how the love between Anne and Henry develops. I’m most interested in the imaginary dragon world. I want to know how it will make someones imagination run with the story.
Last edited by RinaC on 24 Mar 2020, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

The plot sounds really engaging and I like fantasy fiction . I may read this book soon. Your review was very good.

BrittanyPatterson25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BrittanyPatterson25 »

:techie-studyingbrown: As reading threw this it made me want to pick the real book up and read it fully, I dont know who Anne is or if shes really a dragon but I would love to read the full story and find out!

Mbalewechinonso
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbalewechinonso.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbalewechinonso »

Dragons reminds me of "MERLIN" but the combination of love makes it fantastic. Good review.

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

Anne seems to be an interesting character. I've fallen for the storyline of this book already. The author's creativity is top notch which I must applaud. Thanks for this beautiful review.

LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Remember Radcliffe Lad Know Your Station in Life by Bernard Heys. MCMI.MWIFM.DipBs.

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 21:12
This is a good review! The cover scared me to marrow, but the review got me captivated. I am very curious to know who Anne really is and what becomes of her love life with Henry. This must be an interesting read.
Indeed it is an interesting read. Sorry about the scare. I appreciate your comment very much, thanks.

LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

NetMassimo wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:40
Honestly the religious perspective is not my thing, but overall this novel seems well developed, so it could be interesting for urban fantasy lovers. Thank you for your informative review!
You are welcome NetMassimo. Many writers add that perspective nowadays, I believe to enhance or add a twist to the plot. I appreciate your comment, thanks a lot.

LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

RinaC wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 18:02
I really enjoyed this review. I personally would be very interested to read the book. I am curious in how the love between Anne and Henry develops. I’m most interested in the imaginary dragon world. I want to know how it will make someones imagination run with the story.
The authors were very skilled in creating the world of dragons. You will feel like you are part of it when you eventually get a chance to read the book. Thanks a lot for your comment.

LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Salma_asa wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 07:52
The plot sounds really engaging and I like fantasy fiction . I may read this book soon. Your review was very good.
You are welcome Salma_asa. I am glad you liked it. Thanks a lot for your comment.

LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

BrittanyPatterson25 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 09:43
:techie-studyingbrown: As reading threw this it made me want to pick the real book up and read it fully, I dont know who Anne is or if shes really a dragon but I would love to read the full story and find out!
I am sure you will not be disappointed. Indeed it is an amazing story with a good twist. Thanks a lot for your comment.

LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Mbalewechinonso wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 06:21
Dragons reminds me of "MERLIN" but the combination of love makes it fantastic. Good review.
I personally love 'Merlin' very much. Thanks for pointing out the semblance. Indeed the addition of love into the equation has scored this story some extra points. Thanks a lot for your comment.

LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

praise+anyi wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 08:20
Anne seems to be an interesting character. I've fallen for the storyline of this book already. The author's creativity is top notch which I must applaud. Thanks for this beautiful review.
You are welcome Praise+anyi. It's true, the authors did a great job. Thanks a lot for your comment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”