Official Review: Welcome to Utopia by Alan M. Atkinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Welcome to Utopia by Alan M. Atkinson

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Welcome to Utopia" by Alan M. Atkinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I'll just come right out and say it: Welcome to Utopia by Alan M. Atkinson is a very good book. It's quite possibly one of the best books I've read in years. If you have even a passing interest in science fiction or superhero stories, you should be reading it. Set in a world where superheroes are relatively commonplace, it follows Jericho, a small-town hero who wants to make it big in Utopia City, where the superhero team Force Majeure reigns supreme.

Every part of the world is brimming with character, and it balances realism and excitement very well. There are mundane things like public transport and shopping malls, but these familiar concepts are fully reimagined in terms of the technological advancements possible in comic books. The author even incorporates elements from American history, like the Space Shuttle Challenger and the War on Terror, grounding the fantastical in the real to create a genuinely unique and imaginative setting.

This book also has a huge number of interesting and vibrant characters, even outside of the main cast. My favorite example is Black Dragon, who only appears for a chapter or two. She's a foul-mouthed teenager who struggles with social decorum, and despite her apparent disrespect, I found myself rooting for her to grow up emotionally and become a great hero in her own right. The book's structure for superpowers is incredibly versatile, too, producing characters like a disabled person who transformed her wheelchair into a mech and a boy who can turn his bones into armor.

With such excellent side characters, it stands to reason that the main characters are masterfully crafted as well. Just like real people, Jericho himself has different elements of his identity that overlap and sometimes conflict. He does things just for fun, makes mistakes with realistic consequences, and overcomes some very tough decisions while maintaining his integrity, making him likable and engaging. The other two characters he allies himself with are just as well-rounded, with backgrounds that are exciting to discover.

Blessedly, the book is free of the misogyny and general bigotry that plague the superhero genre. While I think male characters have more screentime, so to speak, the gender ratio is practically equal, and the narrative never sexualizes women more than men. Even if the book occasionally plays into stereotypes, like when the leader of Force Majeure is a man with a temper, or when a female character has powers revolving around emotional empathy, it's leagues better than most other superhero media.

I also really enjoyed this book's more drawn-out pacing, even if it was a bit sluggish to start off with. The author takes time to flesh out every aspect of the novel, and I love how immersive this level of detail can get. The story itself still stays focused, though, and I always found the events taking place to be exciting and intriguing. Overall, this book is certainly not a quick read, but it's very rewarding. It's also remarkably well-edited, and the prose puts characters at its heart, vividly showcasing their emotions and perceptions.

It goes without saying, but due to its outstanding worldbuilding, characters, plot, and polish, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It contains some explicit language and some moderately graphic content, so it's not fit for younger children, but these elements didn't feel forced or out of place. I, for one, will certainly be checking this author's Amazon page for the next book in the series - something I've only been able to say once before in all of my reviews for this site.

Welcome to Utopia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's great to see a mature work about superheroes with characters that go beyond stereotypes. Thank you for your interesting review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Thank god it doesn't sexualize women. Such an interesting setting and sounds like the author handled the world-building and characters nicely. Thank you for the review!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"a world where superheroes are relatively commonplace"

It must be a wonderful world. Thanks for the review!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

A superhero book without sexualization of women? And even and in-depth characterization? I'm going to go check out the author's amazon page! Thanks for your review :)
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Superhero books are a weird genre for me, usually because I prefer them in the graphic novel format, but this one sounds pretty good. Black Dragon sounds like a treat and I do like the fact that the author doesn't sexualise the female characters. It makes forgiving the stereotypes used much easier to do.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
rhenanlee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rhenanlee »

Superhero books are superb because superheroes always saves the day. I'd like to become one.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

Good, in-depth characterization and women who are not over sexualized? Sign me in. This sounds like an amazing book. Thank you for review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Your review has really piqued my interest in reading this book. Thanks a lot.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Thank you for your insightful review. Utopia seems like a great book to delve into during a trip. While I do not see superhero stereotypes the same way you do, it stands to reason that people see things from different lenses.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

From your review, the author did a great job on character development.

Thanks for the review
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
ellimctreph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellimctreph.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by ellimctreph »

I always love to see an author's rendition of a Utopia because I believe it's something unachievable, so this sounds like it's going to be a fun read.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

I like the plot it seems like something out of a movie or would make a good one. Thanks for the detailed review.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

The title and the cover are fitting for each other, though it leaves quite a few questions as to what the book is about. I look forward to reading this book. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”