Official Review: Fabric by M K Hussain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Liege-Killer
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Intermittent fasting 16/8 by Linden Roderick

Official Review: Fabric by M K Hussain

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fabric" by M K Hussain.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fabric by M K Hussain is set on a strange planet called Raeth, where Max wakes up in a prison with no memory of his past. He and the other inmates are told that they can have the chance to survive the lethal disease they all have. Max attacks the prison Commander triggering a fight between inmates and guards. The inmates start manifesting powers of different types and many of them manage to break out of prison. Max and the other escapees are hunted by the special teams sent by the Commander, can they find the key to their survival?

This is the first book of a series labeled as fantasy in its official blurb, but M K Hussain used some science fiction elements as well such as the setting on an alien planet. The author blurred the borderline between genres, and superpowers have always been at the center of arguments about the genre they belong to, so you can consider it a mix of genres. The book's subtitle is Day One Origins Unknown, but time seems quite funny on that world with the past, present and the future blended. That means that you can't consider a day as an actual measure of time.

At the beginning of the novel, Max tells in the first person about his awakening in a prison and his confusion due to his lack of memory of his past. Through his eyes, we can see his confusion, the information he receives about his situation and what he discovers about his surroundings. Raeth is a world of strange colors, and the author tried to stress that setting's weirdness replacing the words sun and sky with nus and kys.

Most of the novel follows a break out from the prison with the Commander willing to recapture them, even using special teams of agents with powers and ninjas. At that point, the story becomes really fast-paced following what happens to Max and other escapees, but only Max's point of view is told in the first person. There's a lot of action with fights between escapees and the Commander's agents with a wide use of powers.

The novel is short, so you can read it very quickly, and after trying to understand what's happening at the beginning you can enjoy the ride. Note that there's not a real ending, only a cliffhanger. This is just the first part of a bigger story that will be told in the sequels. The mysteries set up in this novel don't have any answers, so you have to be aware that you need to read the sequels to obtain them.

The novel's characters are in my opinion its weakest element because they have no depth. Of course, M K Hussain has all the time to develop them in the sequels. However, exactly because this book tells the beginning of the story I felt that its protagonist needed to be more vivid. I mean, why should I want to read more about them? Why should I care about what happens to them? In my opinion, with better protagonists, readers would be more eager to look for the sequels.

There are neither profanities nor sexual contents, so the novel is suitable for kids as well. Its editing is generally good, but it has several instances where there's no space between sentences. For this reason and the hollow characters, my rating is 3 out of 4 stars. I'm still curious to see how the story continues in the sequels because I found the setting intriguing and the plot engaging. If you like stories with surreal settings and characters with superpowers, you'll probably like it.

Fabric
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo

That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Decision At Fletcher's Mill by David Caringer

Post by That Reviewer »

This book must have been written in the most simplistic form for it to be readable for kids. It also looks like an action-packed story.

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

That Reviewer wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 07:14
This book must have been written in the most simplistic form for it to be readable for kids. It also looks like an action-packed story.
It's not specifically aimed to kids, but it's written simply enough for them to undestand it. It is indeed action-packed. Thank you for your comment.
Massimo

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Faithmwangi »

I agree that ensuring there is depth in character development is important. Not only does it help relate with characters, it also heps understand their actions in the book. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Faithmwangi wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 08:13
I agree that ensuring there is depth in character development is important. Not only does it help relate with characters, it also heps understand their actions in the book. Thanks for the review.
Good point about understanding the characters' actions. I hope M K Hussain will fix that in the novel's sequels. Thank you for your comment.
Massimo

espo
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Diamond Girl
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: The Bullet Hill Diaries by Bennett Powers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

This sounds like a peculiar prison escape story. It is a shame that the characters are flat, because it'd be cool to get to read about what goes into a prison escapee's mind throughout the "journey". Thanks for your insightful review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

espo wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 11:02
This sounds like a peculiar prison escape story. It is a shame that the characters are flat, because it'd be cool to get to read about what goes into a prison escapee's mind throughout the "journey". Thanks for your insightful review!
Yes, that's why I was disappointed. Thank you for your appreciation.
Massimo

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Ryan's Robot by Brian Kacica

Post by Tomah »

I enjoy stories that blur the line between fantasy and science fiction, so this one should be right up my alley, though I've recently had a mixed experience with a fantasy novel that had an interesting plot yet weak characters. Thanks for the review!

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Tomah wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:03
I enjoy stories that blur the line between fantasy and science fiction, so this one should be right up my alley, though I've recently had a mixed experience with a fantasy novel that had an interesting plot yet weak characters. Thanks for the review!
I can imagine your disappointment. I hope in this case the sequels will have a better character development. Thank your for your comment.
Massimo

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by Charlyt »

Sci-fi can be a hit or miss for me, depending on how the world is developed. It’s good that the book becomes fast-paced. I hope the author develops the characters more in future books. Thanks for a great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Charlyt wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 11:00
Sci-fi can be a hit or miss for me, depending on how the world is developed. It’s good that the book becomes fast-paced. I hope the author develops the characters more in future books. Thanks for a great review!
M K Hussain tried to create a unique setting. Part of the problems is that this is only the beginning of a bigger story, so you need to read the sequels to see more developments. Thank your for your appreciation. :)
Massimo

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: O is for Oshun by Kya Johnson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like an intriguing science-fiction premise. Too bad the characters are not well developed. It's hard to want to pick up sequels when you're not emotionally attached to the characters. Thanks for a great review!

CherylTegan7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

I'm all for SciFi and a prison break, but everyone gaining strange powers and the mc waking up with no memory has been kind of overdone. A great world and good action scenes probably won't be enough to overshadow a weak character for me. Nice review.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

unamilagra wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:37
This sounds like an intriguing science-fiction premise. Too bad the characters are not well developed. It's hard to want to pick up sequels when you're not emotionally attached to the characters. Thanks for a great review!
Exactly! Often readers complain about very long novels, but in this occasion the novel is probably too short to have the best start of the bigger story. Thank you for your appreciation. :)
Massimo

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

CherylTegan7 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 22:50
I'm all for SciFi and a prison break, but everyone gaining strange powers and the mc waking up with no memory has been kind of overdone. A great world and good action scenes probably won't be enough to overshadow a weak character for me. Nice review.
Yes, it's good fun, but needed to be stronger to be memorable. Thank you for your comment.
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”