Official Review: Follow by J.D. Buchmiller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Follow by J.D. Buchmiller

Official Review: Follow by J.D. Buchmiller

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Follow" by J.D. Buchmiller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The United Empires are at war. After a deadly battle between the armies of the Noelle Empire and the People’s Empire, a young soldier, Gerardo of Liko, is the sole survivor. His next task leaves him with no room to rest, however: he must rescue Jorge of En Why from Emperor Mentir’s palace. His only companions on this impossible mission are a curious pixie named Rein Bow and his excellent fighting and survival skills. Will he manage to fulfill his destiny and get his promised reward or is he doomed to a tragic fate?

J.D. Buchmiller’s Follow is a fantasy adventure novel that centers on Gerardo and his journey to save Jorge. Readers who enjoy epic narratives involving empires and wars might be disappointed: though the story takes place during a war, the actual strategies and long-term plans are eschewed in favor of a self-contained quest. Huge battles and army movements are described in a few paragraphs at best. Instead, the focus remains on the individual struggles the characters go through.

If you’re familiar with fantasy stories, the book’s setting shouldn’t be anything particularly novel. It’s a medieval-like world filled with all the familiar races: humans, elves, pixies, unicorns, etc. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing since the time devoted to worldbuilding can go to plot and character development, but it’s something to keep in mind.

There are plenty of twists and turns that keep the reader on the edge of their seat. Characters often find themselves in tough dilemmas that test their luck and wits, and it’s hard not to wonder how in the world they’re going to succeed against such overwhelming odds. That said, these scenes are rendered somewhat ineffective by the main problem with the novel: it lacks a certain “spark.”

This “spark” is hard to precisely pinpoint, but it’s what keeps you engaged in a story and sustains your suspension of disbelief. Whether it’s relatable characters, a captivating plot or an interesting world, you need something to make you care about the events in a narrative. Otherwise, even a textbook can be more engaging than your story.

The characters in the novel rarely get opportunities for psychological exploration and development, which makes them uninteresting. Sure, we see them in hardships, but we don’t have many reasons to cheer for them. The dialogue is fairly bland and doesn’t allow any character to have a unique voice. The motivations of the main antagonist, Emperor Mentir, are never made particularly clear. As far as the reader is concerned, this entire war happened because Mentir is an evil man who enjoys doing evil things; that’s all. Most of the plot is about the characters attempting rescue missions over and over again, not offering anything deeper.

Follow is an interesting story that falls short of its true potential. The worldbuilding is simple but competent, the plot doesn’t lack thrilling developments, there are quite a few likable characters, and even the editing is excellent (I’ve only found three minor errors), but the book fails to make the reader invested in the adventure. So my final rating is 2 out of 4 stars, right in the middle: not a bad book but not an excellent one either.

The novel features some violence and torture but no profanities or excessive gore, so it should be suitable for teenagers. I recommend it to fans of straightforward adventure stories with destined heroes and despicable villains. I don’t recommend it to those who prefer more robust fantasy books.

Follow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Broadsword
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: On the Third Day by King Lizzard

Post by Julius_ »

I like war novels, especially the clash of clans/ empires. This is definitely my genre. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

I like the play on words with the name Rein Bow. I dislike stories with too much focus on the battles. Im much more interested in the characters, so this sounds like the perfect book for me.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Sunborn
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Transference by B.T. Keaton

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems the case when an editor is supposed to point out the flaws you mentioned to improve the novel. Maybe the focus on this novel's twists and turns led to an assessment not everybody can agree to. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xoxoAnushka »

I agree with you on the "spark" part; we definitely need something to make our interests alive. Nice review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Amy747 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 07:29
I like the play on words with the name Rein Bow. I dislike stories with too much focus on the battles. Im much more interested in the characters, so this sounds like the perfect book for me.
NetMassimo wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 08:26
This seems the case when an editor is supposed to point out the flaws you mentioned to improve the novel. Maybe the focus on this novel's twists and turns led to an assessment not everybody can agree to. Thank you for your honest review!
xoxoAnushka wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:23
I agree with you on the "spark" part; we definitely need something to make our interests alive. Nice review!
Julius_ wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 01:29
I like war novels, especially the clash of clans/ empires. This is definitely my genre. Thanks for the review.
Your mileage may vary, so you could very well really enjoy the book. Thanks for the comments!

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by adamgreenrock »

It definitely sounds like a standard fantasy novel but lacks any impact or neat development. I'll probably skip this. Thanks for your honest review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

adamgreenrock wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 04:48
It definitely sounds like a standard fantasy novel but lacks any impact or neat development. I'll probably skip this. Thanks for your honest review!
Indeed. I don't necessarily mind that it's fairly standard as far as fantasy novels go, but you still need compelling characters at least to stand out among the crowd. Thanks for the comment!

unamilagra
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Golden Cord of Arram by Walt Runkis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like there are a lot of great elements in this story that just never really came together to make a well-rounded book. Thanks for your honest review.

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The last time I read a war-based novel, I was put off by irrelevant military techniques and procedure and poor characterization. I think authors need to invest more time in executing their characters so that readers can relate with them.
Thanks for the review.
Bet on me!✊

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Kanda_theGreat wrote:
Yesterday, 03:18
The last time I read a war-based novel, I was put off by irrelevant military techniques and procedure and poor characterization. I think authors need to invest more time in executing their characters so that readers can relate with them.
Thanks for the review.
unamilagra wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 22:24
This sounds like there are a lot of great elements in this story that just never really came together to make a well-rounded book. Thanks for your honest review.
Well, the novel certainly doesn't waste time on military matters, but it doesn't use the extra time to explore characters either. Indeed, the individual pieces are okay, but they don't come together very well. Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”