Review by Nerea -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- The Hand Bringer

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter transformed from a cop to a powerful human weapon. How?

During an operation, Peter encountered a creature that attacked him severely. He was rushed to a lab owned by ASA (Apocalypse Suppression Administration) for treatment. They injected him a virus carrying a seenjite microbe that turned him into a powerful being. ASA's objective is to create a human weapon with perfect anti-vampire features, who’d protect the organization and help them succeed in their mission to kill Vlad Dracula. Who is Vlad Dracula? Why do ASA want Vlad Dracula dead? Will ASA succeed in their mission?

The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington is an adventure-filled fast-paced science fiction and fantasy story. Outstandingly, 75% of the narration is composed of dialogues, voiced from mixed points of view, whereas the remaining 25% is told from the author's point of view. The tone used is sincere and conversational. Moreover, the language used is simple, and the sentence structures are well-balanced. I didn’t detect any typos or errors from the story. Notably, the narrative is sprinkled with some metaphorical speech that seasons the story.

The author introduces characters simultaneously as the plot advances. Additionally, there is an aspect of time travel incorporated in the story where Peter wanted to go back in time and join the dots so that he can find answers to his burning questions about his son. ASA’s recruitment process is quite complex and strategic. It’s one of the book’s aspects that make the story seem realistic. Noteworthy, the story helps the reader understand the mind of scientists better. Ultimately, some ideas in the narrative are borrowed from the Bible account recorded in the book of Genesis about Adam and Eve, which I find interesting.

I’m impressed by Dr. Kolemi’s attitude. Dr. Kolemi is a hardworking and determined Doctor working for ASA. He couldn’t let his illness stop him from being part of the ASA's project. I admired his devotion to the project.

I like Peter’s personality. He is dynamic, reasonable, intelligent, and hot-tempered for a good reason. I'm impressed with his profound sentiments that saved their lives when he, together with his companions, were arrested in Romania. Additionally, his backstories help the readers understand him better. Additionally, I like how the author used the terms Hades and Hell in the story. The two terms share mutual meaning and purpose. Remarkably, the titles in each chapter introduce the themes of the story. The events are incredibly described, allowing the reader to visualize the activities taking place.

I wish Elizabeth and Boriana were given more roles in the story, which would’ve added thrill in the narration. I’m disappointed that there’s no plenty of scientific terms, but I did find some interesting terms that refer to vampire, such as Strigoi.

I’m pleased to note that great warriors are made. Additionally, I was surprised to learn that “processing oxygen efficiently” is not a need for vampires, but a want. Therefore, they can’t suffer from polycythemia (increased production of the red cells in the body), but humans can.

I award the book a 4 out of 4 stars. The author did an incredible job composing a gripping and engaging story. He was extra careful while writing in that he provided the reader with a skillfully edited piece. Furthermore, the story is suspenseful and full of plot twists. The characters are well-developed. Their interaction with each other contributed to the objective of the story. The book contains scarcely distributed non-borderline profane language. Readers who are very sensitive to profane language should skip this book.

I recommend the book to readers who enjoy reading science fiction and dark fantasy stories.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I'm not into vampire stories, but this one sounds very well written. I like the time travel aspect as well. Thanks for a thorough review!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

unamilagra wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 22:49 I'm not into vampire stories, but this one sounds very well written. I like the time travel aspect as well. Thanks for a thorough review!
It's a thrilling story. Thanks for coming through.
No Wahala
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've been planning to pick this book up for quite a while now, I think your review made me want it even more. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Julius_ wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 01:21 I've been planning to pick this book up for quite a while now, I think your review made me want it even more. Thanks for the review.
It's a piece worth anyone's time. If you find time you can check it out. Thank you for your kid words. :tiphat:
No Wahala
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Destroy Dracula and his minions! This is Peter's mission. I wonder what hand bringer means, though. And how Adam and Eve figure in the story.

You seem to have been sucked into the book's magic. I'm mighty intrigued.
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

Vampire stories are not my thing. Great job on your review. Sounds like you really enjoyed this book.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Miriam Molina wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 04:29 Destroy Dracula and his minions! This is Peter's mission. I wonder what hand bringer means, though. And how Adam and Eve figure in the story.

You seem to have been sucked into the book's magic. I'm mighty intrigued.
:D Thanks for coming through.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Shabram22 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:55 Vampire stories are not my thing. Great job on your review. Sounds like you really enjoyed this book.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :tiphat:
No Wahala
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I enjoyed this book as well. I agree it would have been nice if Elizabeth and Boriana had played a bigger role. However, it was still a very good book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 18:07 I enjoyed this book as well. I agree it would have been nice if Elizabeth and Boriana had played a bigger role. However, it was still a very good book. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thank you for your thoughtful words. :tiphat:
No Wahala

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”