Official Review: Braknovia Forest by J.T. McEwan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Braknovia Forest by J.T. McEwan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Braknovia Forest by J.T. McEwan

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Braknovia Forest" by J.T. McEwan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An arrogant blond man will stop at nothing to make his power absolute. He schemes about how to subdue those who cannot resist him and eliminate those with the strength to fight him. Where could this book be set? Some of the action in the young-adult fantasy trilogy Braknovia Forest by J. T. McEwan takes place in our world, but most is in the realm of Braknovia. I'm glad I could review all three parts together as the individual books - The Three, The Two Keys and Darkland Secrets - would not stand well alone.

Seventeen-year-old James Brendal, his older brother Hayden and his younger sister Isabella are being raised by foster parents after their father was murdered in an incident that rendered their mother catatonic. James does not care for everyday school life, preferring to lose himself in fantasy books. He encourages Isabella when she shows him her own stories. When the three youngsters find themselves using supernatural powers against attackers in an alley, a cloaked man named Kern whisks them off to a forest. This covers a large swath of Braknovia, where they have been brought to restore balance by tackling Malakite, the blond tyrant who annihilated their parents. Their writing abilities will gain a new significance. Will James learn to manage his power in time? Hayden has always been different from his siblings. Could his anger and vengefulness compromise the destiny of The Three, as they are described in a prophecy?

Although prophecy is important to this story, this does not make it predictable. Malakite possesses a Book of Prophecies that rewrites itself as events take new turns. This innovative idea added an element of fun. McEwan displayed formidable imagination in creating the realm of Braknovia. The characters' adventures take them to infested marshes and polluted lakes as well as mountain villages bright with flower gardens. The protagonists encounter many creatures, some friendly, others vicious. But along with the pragmatic prophecies, that can change.

The changes in the course of events relate to a leading theme of the story, which is the power of choices to alter outcomes. This could inspire a young-adult audience. There is one particular plot twist which, although not at all inappropriate for young people, might be better appreciated by adults. I cannot say anything specific because that would constitute a spoiler. The twist involves a paradox whose explanation is left vague, although that's permissible under poetic licence.

In that connection, I could suspend disbelief about how everyone in Braknovia spoke English, even when a character who was raised by a wolf seemed to be able to read. After all, this is a magical world where the characters' special powers form a thrilling part of the narrative. However, in this mediaeval-style setting without telephones or televisions, the word "teleport" is jarring. Another word would work better to describe the power of instant travel, a theme that was also affected by some inconsistencies.

At times, the way the characters whizzed from place to place became dizzying. This could perhaps be cut somewhat, especially as the books were a little long for the young-adult genre. The pacing was generally good, although the story suffered from a slow start with regard to the role of the female characters. At first, all we saw was matronly women cooking and knitting or girls squealing and giggling. Powerful females emerged in time, and Isabella's courage and resourceful confidence would make her an outstanding role model.

The strong women represent an excellent aspect of a story that was generally enjoyable. It would be great to see a more polished version, not least because the trilogy does not seem to have been professionally edited. There were many spelling and grammatical errors throughout. Although these were distracting at times, this was an immersive, escapist read overall. As this work has many strengths and a few areas for improvement, I rate it three out of four stars. It can be appreciated on different levels by young adults or older fantasy fans. It satisfies as an epic journey and coming-of-age tale. Readers may also ponder the deeper messages about the best ways to combat power-crazed blond men.

Braknovia Forest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Broadsword
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: On the Third Day by King Lizzard

Post by Julius_ »

A book about a power hungry man who'll stop at nothing to rule everyone. Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Sunborn
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Transference by B.T. Keaton

Post by NetMassimo »

Possibly I'm old for this kind of stories - or not, considering your closing statement - but this trilogy seems to have interesting setting and characters. Thank you for your interesting review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

ButterscotchCherrie

Julius_ wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 01:31
A book about a power hungry man who'll stop at nothing to rule everyone. Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks for the review.
It was satisfying in that you could both enjoy the story and think about the themes. Thanks for your interest!

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

A book that rewrites itself is such a great idea. It gives the author a way to change the story at will.

ButterscotchCherrie

Amy747 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 07:26
A book that rewrites itself is such a great idea. It gives the author a way to change the story at will.
Yes ... you kind of still know how it ends, but not really.

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by espo »

I’m glad you found the “strong women” aspect to be the highlight of this series. This genre offers too many damsels in distress for my taste, and i’m glad that this book inverts the trend. Thank you for a great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

ButterscotchCherrie

espo wrote:
Yesterday, 15:40
I’m glad you found the “strong women” aspect to be the highlight of this series. This genre offers too many damsels in distress for my taste, and i’m glad that this book inverts the trend. Thank you for a great review!
As I say, they weren't doing much but the dishes at first ... but it got better! Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”