Star Trek anyone?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Star Trek anyone?

Post by GabbiV »

gipps wrote: 25 Oct 2013, 08:43 I really like almost all of the Star Trek series. I guess I'm odd because I really didn't like the new movies (they were okay, but not really thematically similar to any of the Treks except maybe Enterprise, and I really didn't like most of Enterprise). But Deep Space Nine was my favorite series. The characters were just so well done and complicated. My favorite character was Garak, though. In the Pale Moonlight is probably my favorite episode of Star Trek ever (Starship Mine from TNG is also up there). I love that the actor who played Garak, Andrew Robinson, actually wrote a Star Trek novel, A Stitch in TIme. But I agree that the world is sorely missing a proper Star Trek. We need something that captures that sense of optimism towards the future and not the unnecessarily bleak, "gritty," and mundane iterations that have dominated the series since Voyager ended.
Fellow Niner here! I'm also a fan of all things Garak so when Uma McCormack released Enigma Tales in 2017 I was ecstatic. I think she really captured the characters well while also being a good Star Trek story.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

Before the reboot of the movies, I would have considered myself a hard-core Trekkie. And I loved the first one, I really did, it got me in all my little fangirl places, but with the next one I kept asking myself, “Is this what awesome feels like? I don’t remember this being what awesome feels like.” Then when the last one hit the theaters I was pretty underwhelmed by what I saw. It felt like Dude-bros in Space :(

Now I don't know what to think. I might give Discovery a chance when I’m up for the stress of it.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I only got into Star Trek from the 2009 movie, and it took me three viewings to really get interested, but once I got it I was hooked. I'm watching the series in chronological order, so I breezed through the Original Series and the Animated series, took my time with The Next Generation, adored Deep Space Nine (I'm a Niner), and am now on Voyager. It's remarkable I only got into Star Trek fairly recently since my dad was an original Trekkie.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I have seen every Trek episode made in all the series. I began collecting the books years ago. My first one was Emzadi which explored Riker's previous relationship with Deanna. Steamy.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”