Star Trek anyone?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sam-001
Bookshelf Size: 0

Star Trek anyone?

Post by sam-001 »

Are there any Trekkie Fans out there... Live long and prosper...
Bleakmage

Post by Bleakmage »

I'm not a hard-core Trekkie but I've seen every episode of all things Star Trek, recently finishing watching Deep Space Nine. I've seen the movies, the animated series, all the shows, everything. Wish there was more :D
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I love Star Trek. I used to read the Deep Space Nine Series of books and the Voyager ones! I loved the autobiography series Kate Mulgrew, the producer, wrote.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
Bleakmage

Post by Bleakmage »

MandiKenendy wrote:I love Star Trek. I used to read the Deep Space Nine Series of books and the Voyager ones! I loved the autobiography series Kate Mulgrew, the producer, wrote.
Yeah the first Star Trek book I read was the one about Spocks son way back in time on the Ice Age/Time Portal planet, and his son was changing the timeline because of conquering and such, and I remember that striking me as being so awesome as a teenager at the time it came out. I read quite a few of those books for some time afterwards, but I eventually tired of them as they started seeming to me at the time as being the same ole story or maybe I was just sick of reading Star Trek books. Same thing happened with me back in the day with the Post Timothy Zahn Star Wars books. After a few short years of that I grew sick of the Space (Soap Opera more like it) of the lives of Luke and Friends and their offspring. Also, Kevin J. Anderson killed it for me in an awful way, that and the books I was reading in the Star Wars Universe seemed to me, at the time, to be growing worse and worse with time (Kevin J. Anderson growing to be the worst). I mean, don't get me wrong he had great ideas but he crammed them altogether and I just didn't like what he was doing there :D
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

Yeah, star trek is superb!!!
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
Starmy

Post by Starmy »

I grew up with Next Generation. Every day, Sky 1, tea time. ( 6pm-7pm I think? )

And now when its on I find myself watching it. If I put it on around the flatmates Im told to turn it over! So its my guilty pleasure when Im in alone. bwhaha!
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Post by Age777 »

I am a fan of Star Trek Next Generation. I tried reading literature about Star Trek but quickly got bored.
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

I love the Next Generation TV series, but I haven't explored much further than that. Now that I know there are books-can't believe I didn't know about them before-I can't wait to read them.
xzonia
Favorite Author: Theodore Sturgeon
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Sookie Stackhouse and Poker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xzonia.html

Post by xzonia »

I love Star Trek, and have seen all of the series, but I've only read two of the books out there. I read The Kobayashi Maru, which has Kirk, Sulu, and Scotty retell their experiences taking that test to Dr. McCoy, and I read the novel Yesterday's Son, which is about Spock going back in time in the episode All Our Yesterdays. In the book, we find out he had a son with the woman he met in the past, and what happened to her and their son. They were both good reads.
rainydayrun
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydayrun.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by rainydayrun »

I was a big fan of the series, especially the Next Generation. I went on to watch Deep Space Nine and watched some of the show that came after, but then lost interest. Then I discovered the most recent Battle Star Galactica and loved that show as well.
TojayTurbo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tojayturbo.html

Post by TojayTurbo »

I would never consider myself a "Trekkie", or whatever the term is, but I love Star Trek. That is, TOS, STTNG, DS9, and Voyager. When the books started coming out, I read quite a few of them. The most recent one I read was the one about the lives of Dax, which is probably my favorite. I do want to read more of the next generation books.
gipps
Favorite Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
Favorite Book: Tigana
Currently Reading: Shadows Over Bakers Street
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gipps.html
fav_author_id: 13379

Post by gipps »

I really like almost all of the Star Trek series. I guess I'm odd because I really didn't like the new movies (they were okay, but not really thematically similar to any of the Treks except maybe Enterprise, and I really didn't like most of Enterprise). But Deep Space Nine was my favorite series. The characters were just so well done and complicated. My favorite character was Garak, though. In the Pale Moonlight is probably my favorite episode of Star Trek ever (Starship Mine from TNG is also up there). I love that the actor who played Garak, Andrew Robinson, actually wrote a Star Trek novel, A Stitch in TIme. But I agree that the world is sorely missing a proper Star Trek. We need something that captures that sense of optimism towards the future and not the unnecessarily bleak, "gritty," and mundane iterations that have dominated the series since Voyager ended.
TojayTurbo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tojayturbo.html

Post by TojayTurbo »

Right there with you, Gipps. I watched the first couple of episodes of enterprise, and that was it for me. Somehow it appeared to me that they were a little incongruent with the time frame. The time it was supposed to be taking place seemed a little too soon after first contact to be involved enough with vulcans enough to have a Vulcan on the enterprise. Probably why I didnt bother with the new movies, either.

My favorite episode of Next Generation is the one where Deanna Troi takes the test for command and has to give an order that will save the ship, but likely cause the death of the engineer in order to pass the test simulation. Loved DS9, all of it, and everything about it. Was unable to watch all of Voyager at the time, but own a copy and will get to it one day, hopefully. I do like the series, though. After that, seems like they lost it.
gipps
Favorite Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
Favorite Book: Tigana
Currently Reading: Shadows Over Bakers Street
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gipps.html
fav_author_id: 13379

Post by gipps »

Yeah, I always liked the episodes where Troi was more in a command role. The earlier seasons were not exactly kind to her, and I think once she started being in command it helped her character. Also when she got away from Riker, who I was never the hugest fans of (I was rather sad to see them back together for the movies).

But I liked parts of Voyager. I didn't really care for Chekotay, but I really liked the Doctor and Seven of Nine when she showed up. In my mind it was the last of the Treks to keep the tradition alive, though it did suffer from a lack of direction for some of it, because these were events happening far away that they couldn't really revisit. Still, there were many good episodes.

I can't stand the trend in more modern science fiction shows to be so "gritty" and down on the future. I really admire Star Trek for pushing the idea that humanity could get better in the future, could overcome some of its racism, its sexism, its intolerance. I think it's a really sad thing that the new movies were designed for "modern movie audiences" (according to the director). They don't bother trying to envision humanity as moved beyond its intolerance. Instead the humanity shown in the movies is more close-minded and violent. The shows were all about exploration and finding common grounds with the alien Other, but now they're all about killing the bad guy. Sad to me how it all played out.
RogerMueller
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogermueller.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by RogerMueller »

Been a Star Trek fan for years. I enjoy the books, mostly. I started reading the Typhon Pact series recently. I've also just finished the Destiny series and the Cold Equations series. Started Titan a while back. I like Titan better than any of the other book series so far because it is more Star Trek. The other series seem to be morphing into straight military sci-fi. No thought, just action. Doesn't seem right to me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”