Official Review: Wrong Turn At Antares

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Zombies on the Rock by Paul Carberry

Official Review: Wrong Turn At Antares

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wrong Turn At Antares" by Raymond T Hunter (pen name).]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wrong Turn At Antares, written by Raymond T. Hunter (pen name), is a science-fiction novel that tells the story of an alien called Stella, who travels to Earth to recruit a team of humans. She wants them to go back with her to Mund – her home planet – to teach their highly advanced yet dull society of genetically engineered, nearly perfect individuals how to be imaginative and creative. Mundians are programmed to be law-abiding and peaceful; the planet is a serene, problem-free utopia that Stella and some others find insufferably boring.

Once on Earth, Stella gets involved with John, a 21-year-old kid from Brooklyn. John is a multilayered character – “a brilliant medical student near the top of his class." He "could jog, follow a strict regimen of health foods, and tie on a good weekly drunk or two without contradiction.”

What I liked most about this book was its good-humored approach. The protagonists are young adults who enjoy having a good time. I believe that a lot of readers will be able to relate to their juvenile passion and idealism.

On the other hand, unfortunately, there were several elements that I disliked. The first negative is that I found the narrative to be too simplistic. The author explains a lot of things in unnecessary detail, leaving little to the reader's imagination. What I disliked the most, though, was how John’s sexist points of view and objectification of women dominate the narrative. While the beginning of the plot is promising, as the novel progresses, John’s pubescent obsession with the size of women’s breasts becomes borderline annoying. The plot develops within a limited range of repetitive and predictable behaviors. Shockingly stereotypical comments blemished what could have been an imaginative and fun story. For instance, “All women know that you can fool 95% of men from a distance with breast enlargement surgery and long blonde flowing hair.”

In closing, the book doesn’t seem professionally edited. The errors, although not egregious, are enough to reduce the rating by one star. The stereotyped points of view caused me to subtract another star. Therefore, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. It has a fair share of sexual content, as well as an abundance of non-borderline profanity. I believe it may appeal to readers who like sci-fi novels with a touch of spicy romance, provided that they don’t mind the stereotyped points of view. If you like more sophisticated plots, you might want to steer clear of it, though.

Wrong Turn At Antares
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Weeping Willow's Wish by Brenda Elzin

Post by Cecilia_L »

Those types of stereotypical comments are a real turn-off. Thanks for your honest review.

Lizbeth92102
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lizbeth92102 »

I think that the book looks very interesting. The cover of the book is also very interesting and I love seeing this from a woman’s perspective.

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by adamgreenrock »

Definitely a skip for me if it really is that stereotypical. Thanks for your review!

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Sunborn
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Transference by B.T. Keaton

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm afraid the book's foundations with a contrast between what's supposed to be a utopia that turns out to be dull and the chaotic humanity isn't particularly original. Alas, the flaws you pointed out it don't improve it. Thank your for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

The storyline sounds interesting but the overly detailed descriptions would frustrate me too much.

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

Cecilia_L wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 12:27
Those types of stereotypical comments are a real turn-off. Thanks for your honest review.
Thank for reading and commenting!

mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

NetMassimo wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 06:08
I'm afraid the book's foundations with a contrast between what's supposed to be a utopia that turns out to be dull and the chaotic humanity isn't particularly original. Alas, the flaws you pointed out it don't improve it. Thank your for your honest review!
I agree. Thank you for commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”