Official Review: The Wrath of Isis by Michael A Zuniga

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Devoured by Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: P.S.S.T.- Public School Speech Therapist by W. Ray
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Official Review: The Wrath of Isis by Michael A Zuniga

Post by Kelyn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wrath of Isis" by Michael A Zuniga.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Temporal Lens is a highly advanced artificial intelligence. If a machine can be distressed, this is the case. The timeline has forked; the creators have gone silent. The dislocation occurred when it had taken the two young Christians back in time to observe Constantine’s pivotal battle between the followers of Isis and those of Christ. Because of their interactions there, the timeline has been rewritten. Jesus is just a footnote in history. The citizens of this ‘alternate earth’ worship the Goddess Isis. Thus, its creators, direct descendants of Constantine’s Christians, were never born. (Yes, I'm aware of the circular paradox. Thank you.) The Lens calculates these events to be unacceptable. Christianity must rise again to enable the creators’ return.

The male youth, Alister, a fervent believer in the power and vengeance of his God, is desperate to spread the word of his Messiah in what he perceives to be a godless world. Allison, the female youth, prefers instead to focus on the fabled love and gentle forgiveness of this selfsame Jesus. Despite their differing beliefs, with its ‘guidance,’ and access to its power, the youths Alister and Allison could facilitate the restoration of the Christian faith on the planet below. The device determines to provide anything necessary to achieve this end.

There is one factor, however, that it fails to include in its calculations. The Priestesses of Isis below will not give up their reality so easily, and they have abilities unknown to humans in the original timeline. Is their power a match for that of the Temporal Lens, a device constructed by humanity centuries in the ‘correct’ future? Only time will tell.

Alternate timelines, the butterfly effect, how is the ‘true’ reality determined? What makes one timeline more valid than another? Who is to say which one is the ‘correct’ path of history? Its citizens? Their deity? Reality is subjective. This is only one of the philosophical questions you will find within the pages of this book.

Looking at the cover, The Wrath of Isis: Chronicles of the Temporal Lens by Michael Zuniga appears to be a pretty run-of-the-mill Young Adult (YA) novel. Not to be trite, but never judge a book by its cover. This book is not YA suitable. Period. Stated politely, it contains scenes having considerably more than full-frontal nudity. If that offends you, steer clear of this book.

Still there? Alright, “Further up and further in!” (A virtual cookie to anyone who can tell me what book that quote comes from!) I enjoyed reading The Wrath of Isis. Although the concept of a rogue AI is not new, Zuniga has given it distinct twists to make the story unique. The storyline is well-executed, with pacing that does not drag and keeps the reader interested. The dialogue is credible, and the action realistic enough to sustain belief. Also, the author has woven several philosophical questions into the story for the reader to ponder. However, if you are not one whose mind is open to even a light examination of the Christian faith vs. pagan beliefs/religion (specifically, the followers of Isis), you might want to avoid this book. By the time I reached the end, I was taking a good hard look at my beliefs and values (both spiritual and otherwise), as well as the various constructs of religion and societal values that exist today.

The story is mostly set in our present day. Unfortunately for our protagonists, there is one bothersome catch. It’s not their reality. A new, self-sustaining world that diverges from their timeline has been created. The characters’ reactions and distress at this turn of events are highly relatable. Think about it. How would you react if you were thrown into a world that was familiar yet alien as well? What would you do? I’m betting there are hundreds of different answers to that question. Similarly, Alister and Allison react and subsequently act in differing ways.

World development is somewhat shallow, but I believe that is by intent. Zuniga focuses instead on guiding the reader to experience the protagonist’s thoughts, emotions, actions, and reactions in their new reality. The reader is given just enough background on each character (including major side characters) to ‘get a feel’ for them, so what they do and say is convincing.

Major grammatical mistakes were minimal. I found perhaps a handful throughout the book. However, very few pages did not have a comma error of some sort. Beyond that, I had only one real problem. To a man, the male characters were ridiculously susceptible to seduction. Even the male protagonist, portrayed as a prudish and overly pious fundamental Christian, was not unaffected by this phenomenon! Self-control? There is not a shred to be found.

Given the reasons stated above, I reluctantly give The Wrath of Isis: From the Chronicles of the Temporal Lens, 3 out of 4 stars. Why so reluctant? The only reason I docked that star was because of the unfortunate punctuation errors. I would have loved to give the book full stars. Because of the sexual content, I cannot recommend it for youth. Otherwise, if you enjoy time-travel and alternate reality sci-fi, especially with a philosophical bent, you should love this book. Now, say it with me, all reality is subjective. Wait. Was that bookcase there before?

The Wrath of Isis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I think it's a good thing that life isn't fair...if it was, it would mean we deserve all the bad things that happen to us. :eusa-think: - Marcus - Deep Space Nine

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Navigating New Normal Book One Environmental Rescue
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Ruthless Warlock by Lynne Armstrong-Jones

Post by NetMassimo »

AI, alternate realities, Egyptians, time travel, and all that with a philolophical bent, what more could I ask for? :) Seriously, your review intrigued me so I'm adding this novel to my wish list. Thank you!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I hadn't read a review like yours before! I think I liked the review more then I would like the book. The book is obviously not one for me because of the sexual content and it seems a bit confusing. But, thanks for your very fun review!

unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Nobody's Perfect by Marlene Resnick Simons
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a really interesting alternative reality concept for a book. I'm glad it was well-written for the most part. I feel like the incorporation of heavy adult themes are a bit out of place with the religious concept, as it might offend the audience it is trying to reach. Thanks for a very fun review!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

NetMassimo wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 11:26
AI, alternate realities, Egyptians, time travel, and all that with a philolophical bent, what more could I ask for? :) Seriously, your review intrigued me so I'm adding this novel to my wish list. Thank you!
Thank you! I'm so glad you liked my review. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Shabram22 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 14:50
I hadn't read a review like yours before! I think I liked the review more then I would like the book. The book is obviously not one for me because of the sexual content and it seems a bit confusing. But, thanks for your very fun review!
:lol2: You're very welcome, and thank you so much for your lovely compliment! Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

unamilagra wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 20:12
This sounds like a really interesting alternative reality concept for a book. I'm glad it was well-written for the most part. I feel like the incorporation of heavy adult themes are a bit out of place with the religious concept, as it might offend the audience it is trying to reach. Thanks for a very fun review!
Too true. I found it a bit incongruous myself, but, for me anyway, it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the review. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! And you're welcome; I'm glad you enjoyed the review!

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: The Centurion by Joe Mack High

Post by Juliet+1 »

Sounds like a fabulous book. And I'm especially curious about the beliefs and practices of the followers of Isis. This one goes right onto the "want to read" shelf." :D

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Juliet+1 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 20:50
Sounds like a fabulous book. And I'm especially curious about the beliefs and practices of the followers of Isis. This one goes right onto the "want to read" shelf." :D
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment!

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Princess C and Me by Malcolm R. Martin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Kelyn wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 23:43
This book is not YA suitable. Period.
This had me laugh out loud! This sounds like a very vivid and vibrant book. I'm not into fantasy, but your review really captured my attention and made me interested in the book. Thank you for this captivating, hilarious and beautifully written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I also thought that this was a YA book. Thanks for the clarification. I'm out. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 862
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Laura Bach »

This book sounds incredibly complex, but worth reading. Time travel is a subject that fascinates me, so I'm thinking about giving this book a chance. Great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Enemy in the Mirror by Constance D. Dixon

Post by kandscreeley »

I think you lost me at more than full frontal nudity. However, I love the style of your review. I doubt I'll read it, but the plot is intriguing. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

espo wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 06:14
Kelyn wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 23:43
This book is not YA suitable. Period.
This had me laugh out loud! This sounds like a very vivid and vibrant book. I'm not into fantasy, but your review really captured my attention and made me interested in the book. Thank you for this captivating, hilarious and beautifully written review!
I'm so glad you liked the review!! I always try to throw a little humor in; it's good to know that it's noticed! So, thank you for the lovely compliments. And thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment!

Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Julius_ wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 09:49
I also thought that this was a YA book. Thanks for the clarification. I'm out. Thanks for the review.
You're very welcome! Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”