Review by KDJ -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Review by KDJ -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by KDJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After the infamous trial of her beloved grandfather for attempted theft of Lanyr’s planetary stability crystal, Rynah tries to piece together her broken life and career. Finding solace in Klanor, her boyfriend, she accepts his marriage proposal. Soon after, he betrays her by stealing the crystal, which results in murder and planetary destruction. Rynah must stop his diabolical grab for unlimited power. With help from earthlings transported from four distinct eras of earth history, ( Solon, Alfric, Brie, and Tom) Rynah uses ancient myths to guide them to the other five crystals before Klanor obtains them. When combined these crystals form either an instrument for creation and defense or a weapon of great destruction. Will Rynah be successful in her mission to stop Klanor? Will our four hero’s return to their times intact? And why are Pirates after Solaris?

Solaris Seethes is a fast-paced action-driven science fiction fantasy novel written by Janet McNutty. This novel is the first of four novels in the Solaris series. The author’s writing is action-packed with its almost constant suspense. I enjoyed the author’s expansive world-building, with multiple planets, systems, and sectors. McNutty’s characters are well-written and likable. Colorful descriptions of characters, scenery, and imaginative wildlife, like Bacoons and Wingaburs, were a great addition to the overall story immersion.

Solon and Brie are my favorite characters. Solon’s character adds an element of calmness in this fast-action novel. While Solon is not a completely passive scholar and will protect himself, he is not quick to fight like both Alfric and Rynah. He has a calm and thoughtful demeanor that tempers many hectic situations. At the same time, Brie, an angst-filled awkward teen, has compassion that is a great juxtaposition to Rynah’s mission-oriented rigidity. For example, while on the primitive planet, Rynah ordered everyone to do nothing, whereas Brie took action to save the human sacrifice, ultimately gaining them the second crystal.

I also enjoyed how Solaris is written. Although artificial and bound to the ship, Solaris is able to comfort, inform and be the not-so-subtle beacon of morality needed by Rynah and the others. For instance, while having an episode of homesickness, Solaris comforts Brie by showing her earths solar system.

On the other hand, my least favorite character is Stein. As second in command to Klanor, it becomes clear that he desires more than his initial goal of regaining his family, as the lure of power begins to dictate his clandestine actions. Not understanding Klanor’s motives behind wanting the crystals, or how the crystals work, Stein selfishly becomes more intent on seizing power for himself rather than Klanor.

I feel I would have enjoyed this novel more had Rynah’s character been more introspective and less broody and angry. Most of her interactions (with Brie in particular) range from combative to cruel. For example, after Brie loses a crystal to one of Klanor’s men on Aquara, Rynah is outraged and calls Brie “utterly useless”. She continues with: “The only thing you have done this entire trip is panic like a child and moan about your pathetic planet…”. It takes Solaris to point out her poor attitude towards others and insist she apologizes and makes an effort. Through the novel, readers can see the progress Brie makes as she grows and begins to stand up for herself. Rynah, however, does not evolve over the course of the novel and maintains a level of self-centered broodiness until the last chapter.

I give Solaris Seethes by Janet McNutty 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to friends that enjoy sci-fi action series. Finding no instance of profane or offensive language in this novel, it would be suitable for readers of all ages. I would like potential readers to be aware of scenes of bullying that sensitive readers should be aware of. However, being book one in the series, it is open-ended; therefore, I would not suggest it as a stand-alone novel. This saga continues with Solaris Strays, Solaris Soars, and Solaris Seeks. I propose reading the entire series.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I also really liked Brie's character; she brought a very human element to the story. And I agree about Rynah's character; she's supposed to be an adult and yet she frequently acted as a child with temper tantrums.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Rayasaurus wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 13:05 I also really liked Brie's character; she brought a very human element to the story. And I agree about Rynah's character; she's supposed to be an adult and yet she frequently acted as a child with temper tantrums.
Thank you for reading my review. I felt bad for Brie being treated badly by Rynah. All the other adults understood that Brie was still a teenager, and she needed to become more self-confident in her skills. I think when a giant Viking has to tell you to be kind, something is off with you. LOL :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

I just finished reading this book and am glad that you also found it to be an acceptable choice for all readers. I could totally see using this as a novel study with my upper elementary students.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”