Review by Clorinda Donovan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clorinda Donovan
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Clorinda Donovan -- We are Voulhire: A New Arr...

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An alternate world called Caromentis looms in the shadows. Some men can use physics to teleport. All this and more make for a dangerous place in the kingdoms of Voulhire and Soulhire. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is just the beginning of an epic series. In a world where kings rule and mages run amock. Follow Bray Galen as he takes the place of his uncle as a forger. Is Meldorath the powerful mage dead? King Wilhelm has a troublesome kingdom, to care for, but will his kind heart be enough to save and satisfy his people? What is Beth to do here, in a new world, with the mysterious hooded man? Read We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, and accompany these characters, and more on a great adventure.

I loved this book! The story was fast-paced, never dull, and it was pleasantly unpredictable. Having imagined the plot on the outset of the story I thought it was understood who would die in the end. I was wrong, all along! For everybody who reads fantasy novels, whether it is dark fantasy or epic adventures, in this narrative you will never know when one of the main characters may be offed. Also, the characters though many are unique and amusing. The reader is never confused as to what is happening in the story, and I was never muddled as to who I was reading about.

The book seemed to be set in an era of knights and castles yet the author has artfully given it a modern touch. For example, when one of the characters addresses her father, she simply says "Hi Dad". I thought it was a nice change instead of the usual stuck-up greetings exchanged in such stories. Still, Tysz did add formal greetings when they were necessary.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies has one particular prime character who narrates the story. The book has all the other principal character's perspectives presented in an orderly fashion. Although this is an amusing read, it did have character deaths, for all those who may not like this beware. I love epic adventures/fantasy novels and loath sad stories with a passion. Matthew Tysz does not seem to be going in the indicated direction, but he does kill a few people for realism. I was holding my breath hoping some characters would make it, but sadly they did not. If you like page-turning excitement then this book is a must-read. For all those who like books by Brandon Sanderson, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is a must-read. The author has written five books in the series, and he has promised four more.

The story is exceptionally well-edited which was a bonus. A few issues will be pointed out for the author privately as they may have been done on purpose. Otherwise, it seemed to be a flawless text. The solitary thing I wish was different was the mention of some taboo things and some language. I recommend a mature reading audience. I cannot give this book anything less than a full rating at 4 out of 4 stars. For such a recent author like Tysz, who is now one of my favorites, he has created a fantastic unknown world for all to enjoy.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Pleasantly unpredictable! I love that description - and it sounds like a fun book. Thank you for the thorough review!
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

I enjoyed the book overall, but to me the mix between the medieval/fantasy setting and the modern elements was rather confusing. I am glad you enjoyed that aspect of the book though. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”