Review by J_odoyo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Review by J_odoyo -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival unde...

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a science fiction novel. It is the first installment in the "We are Voulhire" series. The novel follows the story of Galen Bray—a young man escaping from a war-torn Land of Princes. He is welcomed into the kingdom of Voulhire, specifically in a town of Magnum Caelum. Voulhire was a land of history's greatest wizards and warriors. Despite being a small nation, it was leading large kingdoms economically and culturally. The kingdom was consolidated by eons-old oath to put an end to the violent insurgents, the Riva Rohavi.

Galen's late uncle (known as Galen Onita) owned a forge in Magnum Caelum. Before his death, he had bequeathed it to Galen and left everything with his executor, Rowan. Rowan is determined to do his work by preparing Galen to become a blacksmith who can run his uncle's business.

Galen finds himself in a completely new environment. A peaceful and prosperous kingdom, but yet not lacking a rival group. The southern town of Hillport, neighboring Magnum Caelum, has just received a new Lord, Eldus Alderman. He has just been appointed by King Wilhelm Arcolo to revamp the jumbled town which had suffered in the hands of his predecessors, Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath—the mage who was feared for his mysticism. Will Lord Eldus accomplish his task? What about Galen's adaptation in a new environment? You will have to read for yourself.

Told in both first-person and third-person narrative style, the story is suspenseful and enjoyable. Tysz demonstrated his superb narrative skills by first describing a prosperous and powerful kingdom with a loved king and climaxing his narrative in occultism practice and later on a vicious onslaught on Hillport town. I could sometimes stop and try to ponder on the kind of magic practices that were going on in Caromentis.

The vivid illustrations using the map of the Voulhire kingdom and descriptive titles were very impressive and could eliminate confusion. I was blown away with the kind of celebration Voulhirians could have during the Feast of Human Hands. During this festivity, people could come from all over the kingdom to celebrate the year's prosperities and to pray for a prosperous future. It could be accompanied by a vivacious crowd and non-stop music and dances. I could uncontrollably grin while reading the comical description of the scene during this feast.

The book involves mild sexual references and some occasional profanity. However, there were no extreme graphic scenes to say it's not suitable for young teenagers. There is nothing I disliked about this book. The book was professionally edited. I could not find even a single error.

I rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I would be too mean to overlook this wonderful creativity by giving it a lower rating. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was well-written, full of interesting characters, thanks to the exceptional description and explanations of the setting. I recommend it to lovers of fantasy novels. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in this series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by J_odoyo »

For those who have read this book, what are your views about my review?
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by VictorKE »

I love reading fictional stories. Having gone through your review, I think this is one of the book that I should add to " Want to read" shelve.Thank you.
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

For my to fictional books, I had no doubt that could be great one. Having read your review, I'm pleased, as it is well written. I must therefore, add it to a must read books.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I have read the whole series and I really enjoyed Galen's journey as he exhibits great growth. The book is well written and edited too. I love your review it's not only engaging, catchy and detailed.
He lays me besides still waters. He prepares a banquet before my enemies.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall not fear.
For the Lord is my Shepherd
:techie-reference:
Nehal Mitna
Favorite Book: The Champagne Tales
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nehal-mitna.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nehal Mitna »

I'm not a big sci-fi fan. Your review does intrigue me and want to keep going through the rest of the parts of this series
jokinyo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jokinyo.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by jokinyo »

I think the characters where very many, there are some whom i still did not understand there part in the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”