Review by Yomna -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yomna
Currently Reading: Head Over High Heels
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yomna.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by Yomna -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Yomna »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’ve always admired the way William Shakespeare started his stories. He often started with a brief narration of the story’s setting and rules. For example, in his popular novel – King Lear , he started introducing the king and his daughters, where they live, as well as their relationships with each other. I mentioned that fact because when I read the first paragraph in the story, I was reminded of Shakespeare’s technique. The plot in We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies unfolds by introducing the policies in the Lands of the Princes, where four islands were ruled by four princes – each sent away by the same father, as a result of their conspiracies against him.

The princes initiated a civil war between one another in the process of yearning for unreserved control. Galen Bray was a normal citizen in the Lands of the Princes, living with the lone purpose of survival. That, until he received a letter from Voulhire which turned his life upside down. His foreign uncle had been looking for an heir to his legacy of blacksmithing and the fortune produced by it. There – in Voulhire, he meets Rowan, his uncle’s executor and the one who found him and helped him through a lot of matters.

One other alternative story was about King Wilhelm and his operation of matters at the castle. He was in constant fear of the exposure of his deep secret and towards the return of the rebellious group, called Riva Rohavi.

Throughout the story, the fictional existence of two parallel worlds is explained, where Cosmos is the physical world and Caromentis is the magical world. Once before, a very powerful mage, named Meldorath, tried seeking control over both worlds.

Another parallel story narrates the events taking place in Hillport – a city in Voulhire – where the king has sent a new lord, Lord Eldus, to rule the city after the death of the former two lords, one of which was Lord Meldorath.

I found the story quite intriguing and never once found it dull. Despite the dense amount of explanation and information that is stated, the number of thrilling events was relatively abundant. Not only was the story fascinating but the diligence in detailing was also more than evident. It was as if I was in Voulhire, experiencing all the incidents taking place.

What I liked most about the book was the idea of alternating between cities and points of view. While some might consider it a confusing way of narration, I personally prefer it. Besides, the author clearly labeled each point of shifting points of view so, it cause any disorientation.

Not to mention the mind-blowing realism in the plot. While reading the said fictional proceedings, my mind comprehended the story as real-life events and the regulations of the magic world made perfect sense. Additionally, the scarcity of linguistic errors was hard to ignore.

I gave this story 4 out of 4 stars because of the enticing work that Matthew Tysz had done in precisely planning and outlining his piece of fiction. Moreover, there was no question roaming in my head that I categorized as unanswered – except for the cliffhanger at the end of the book. The ending of the book had me bewildered and triggered my curious self to check out the sequel and find out what happens next. The book does not contain any inappropriate scenes and I, therefore, recommend it to all age-groups. However, there is some profane language expressed through the dialogue, which may offend some of the audiences.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”