Official Review: Theocrates and the Crystal Cavern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Price of the Passion by Sabrina A. Graves

Official Review: Theocrates and the Crystal Cavern

Post by kandscreeley » 03 Jan 2020, 19:43

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Theocrates and the Crystal Cavern" by Bryan DeWeese.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Theo, after communicating with aliens from another planet, believes both his world and their world is in danger. He must fix it. To do so, he needs access to a forbidden area on his world called the Crystal Cavern. The only way to gain access is by petitioning the Council. How does he make them understand the gravity of the situation when it sounds like he's insane?  In his quest to save the world, he also uncovers a conspiracy within the government. Will he be able to do what needs to be done to save both planets?

I found the premise of Theocrates and the Crystal Cavern quite interesting and unique in its own right. Though it's a typical "one ordinary man must find a way to save the world despite opposition," the author, Bryan DeWeese, makes the story his own. The technology used is fascinating and different, quickly becoming one of my favorite parts of the book. I love exploring other worlds through someone else's eyes.

The book is fast-paced, which helps the reader jump right into the action. In addition, the mystery of the Crystal Cavern drew me in immediately. What is it and why was it forbidden in the first place? How did it hold the key to saving the planets? A good hook like this at the beginning keeps the reader coming back for more, and I admit that I just wanted to keep reading.

The issues, though, came to light quickly. The book isn't professionally edited. There are random capitalizations throughout, homonyms are used mistakenly, and characters' names aren't always consistent. It was disappointing as I was quite impressed with the plot.

Furthermore, the start of the book was somewhat confusing. Theo refers to others and saving worlds without actually detailing the problem. It was an odd introduction that wasn't cleared up until about eight pages into the story. After the rocky start, the story flows smoothly. Therefore, I can't fault the author too much.

Lastly, I thought there were aspects of the plot that were underutilized. I can't say much more without giving anything away, but the aliens that Theo talks to are from a specific period. Mr. DeWeese could have played this up but didn't. Still, this is the first in the Theocrates of Terexia series. Thus, giving the author the benefit of the doubt, I bet this will come up in the future.

Because of the number of grammatical errors, I must rate Theocrates and the Crystal Cavern 3 out of 4 stars. The errors were numerous and distracting, but my love for the story saved this one from a lower rating. Even with the editing, I recommend this to anyone that enjoys mysterious, yet interesting, technology with a nobody who must save the world. If you can't look past errors, you might want to skip this one. I will be on the lookout for book number two.

Theocrates and the Crystal Cavern
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Free to reflect 1220
Currently Reading: The Gate
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Free to reflect 1220 » 04 Jan 2020, 01:51

This book looks quite interesting to me as i love secert beyond nature and si gi movie this book can be made on the base of a movie because it talk about alien and human relations .to this book i give 5 out of 3rating and good luck for your more reviews

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 590
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of the Happy Schnauzer Klaus by Terry E Gunn
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 04 Jan 2020, 08:31

We have come a long way from "Phone home." The mysterious Crystal Cavern, fascinating aliens, and an unlikely hero make me curious about this book.

cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 116
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading: Sterling and The Book of Miracles
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Unholy Communion by Thomas Rumreich
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 » 04 Jan 2020, 23:25

This one sounds quite interesting, and I don't always like the genre. I don't know if I can look past the mistakes, though. My brain just immediately sees the error, and then the story gets lost. Maybe the author will fix this up so that it will make the book shine. A story that keeps a person coming back for more is hard to resist! Thanks for more insight on this one. :)
Everything happens for a reason...

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Jan 2020, 11:09

Miriam Molina wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 08:31
We have come a long way from "Phone home." The mysterious Crystal Cavern, fascinating aliens, and an unlikely hero make me curious about this book.
It was entertaining to say the least. I'm interested to see where the author goes with it in the future. Thanks for taking time out to comment!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Jan 2020, 11:10

cpru68 wrote:
04 Jan 2020, 23:25
This one sounds quite interesting, and I don't always like the genre. I don't know if I can look past the mistakes, though. My brain just immediately sees the error, and then the story gets lost. Maybe the author will fix this up so that it will make the book shine. A story that keeps a person coming back for more is hard to resist! Thanks for more insight on this one. :)
I do hope the author can get some proofreading done so that this will appeal to more people. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 05 Jan 2020, 18:25

That Crystal Cavern does sound captivating! I agree that the reader could look past the errors when the plot has you wanting to continue on to the second book. Thanks the the great recommendation!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Jan 2020, 18:30

kdstrack wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 18:25
That Crystal Cavern does sound captivating! I agree that the reader could look past the errors when the plot has you wanting to continue on to the second book. Thanks the the great recommendation!
Of course! I really was quite transfixed. I can't wait to read more. Thanks!
-Louisa May Alcott

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: The Underdog by Janette Hirst

Post by Tomah » 07 Jan 2020, 14:19

This sounds like an intriguing science fiction story, though it's not the sort of thing I usually read. This one might be worth checking out, though, despite the unfortunate errors. Thanks for the review!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 07 Jan 2020, 19:36

Tomah wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 14:19
This sounds like an intriguing science fiction story, though it's not the sort of thing I usually read. This one might be worth checking out, though, despite the unfortunate errors. Thanks for the review!
It's not too intensively science fiction, but I'm sure it's still not for everyone. Thanks for commenting!
-Louisa May Alcott

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Kaijuology by Layne Wyman

Post by esp1975 » 22 Jan 2020, 15:57

I instantly want to know if there's a connection to Merlin, as he's infamously encased in the Crystal Cave, but it doesn't sound like the book went this direction. I hope the author finds a good editor to work with as it sounds like this book/series has a lot of promise.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 22 Jan 2020, 19:50

esp1975 wrote:
    22 Jan 2020, 15:57
    I instantly want to know if there's a connection to Merlin, as he's infamously encased in the Crystal Cave, but it doesn't sound like the book went this direction. I hope the author finds a good editor to work with as it sounds like this book/series has a lot of promise.
    It definitely has promise. I enjoyed reading it! Thanks for your insightful comments.
    -Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”