Official Review: Tseen She Transfiguration

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Tseen She Transfiguration

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tseen She Transfiguration" by George D. Skinner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tseen She Transfiguration, written by George D. Skinner, takes place over 200 years in the future. At a secret facility in the Mojave Desert, a group of thirteen individuals (the chosen) with high IQs, no familial attachments, and superior concentration abilities are getting ready for a mission. Among them, our antagonist, Manny Maddox, a Californian mathematician, surfer, and poker player. They will be the crew of Argo Medea – a spaceship whose goal is to reach a sister ship (Argo Navis) and deliver “the most important object on the planet.” This large, obsidian-dark cuboid contains terraforming agents: DNA and other biological resources to be deployed on a planet forty-two light-years from Earth, in the Pictor constellation, a place with potential for human existence. They are to seize the opportunity of a massive supernova explosion.

Early in the story, a transformation transfers the consciousness of each of the chosen to devices that resemble little UFOs; their bodies get discarded. After this, Maddox flees and goes rogue. From that point on, the mission becomes endangered, and the crews have to fight a looming threat –the evil and powerful Maddox plans to seize control of the sister ships and terraforming resources.

The book’s imaginative yet conceivable plot is its first strength. It hinges on the premise of blurred boundaries – brain and computer; human and non-human; physical and mental; body and mind. We are no strangers to the idea of humans enhanced by technology, and the author takes this concept to a new (and amusingly disturbing!) level. He made me imagine transferring my consciousness to an external device. Once rid of physical bodies, could we become immortal and enhanced versions of ourselves?

Argo Navis’ crew members are relatable and textured characters, especially the protagonist, Tian Harte, the ship’s second-in-command. Her mental fortitude colors the conflict, and Maddox against Tian feels like a game of high-tech chess in outer space. There is also a subplot of humans traveling through space in deep-freeze; infected by a virulent plague, they hope for a future cure.

Skinner’s writing style is elegant, and the narrative is refreshingly unpredictable. The world he builds sustains a suspenseful atmosphere, and I was on edge the entire time. I loved it all: interstellar flights, gravity fields, supernova explosions, sleeper pods, supercomputers, extraterrestrial colonization, and mind games. The use of mythological references was a plus. The spaceships (Argo Navis, Argo Medea, Epimenedes) and computers (Hera, Iliad-Class, Minotaur, Zeus) had great names, so did the characters (Tian, Reject, Adieu).

In closing, there are no negatives to mention, and I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited – I only found a few minor editing errors. It is sci-fi at its best, and fans of the genre will surely enjoy it.

Tseen She Transfiguration
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Naming can be difficult. I'm glad the Greek classics came up trumps!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

Skinner’s writing style is elegant, and the narrative is refreshingly unpredictable. The world he builds sustains a suspenseful atmosphere, and I was on edge the entire time. I loved it all: interstellar flights, gravity fields, supernova explosions, sleeper pods, supercomputers, extraterrestrial colonization, and mind games. The use of mythological references was a plus.
Whenever I see a lengthy review full of praise it makes me picture the reader putting in dozens of hours to find a way of expressing something that's grand in a way anyone and everyone can understand. Far from an easy task. I suspect the hardest part of your job was trying to find a way to cut things out without cutting things out. In short, there is not one word in your review that is superfluous. So because of your juicy review, your enthusiasm, professionalism and 4 star recommendation, I have just located my next good read and next good reviewer.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 28 Dec 2019, 08:32 Naming can be difficult. I'm glad the Greek classics came up trumps!
Yep. Definitely! Thanks for reading and commenting.
mmm17
Currently Reading:

Post by mmm17 »

I appreciate your kind comments. Thank you!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This definitely sounds like an interesting book to read. Strong plot is always a plus in science fiction.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”